Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:50 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

It's two to a bedroom; I know, because I'm a former landlord. But they simply lie about it, saying people are just visiting. With so much coming and going all the time, who can tell? Neither the police nor city code enforcement can or will do much, for whatever reason. For instance, hanging wet laundry all over the fence, bushes, and lawn furniture doesn't violate any existing ordinance. In fact, the kids recently stole some items from under the deck of the vacant house; the owners called the police upon discovering it, but nothing happened.

Don't think anything's going to change there; I've been trying for some time (without the support of my neighbors, by the way, who don't wish to appear "mean"). So now what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 12:05 PM

502 posts, read 896,379 times
Have you approached the neighbors to see if they are interested in buying it? Maybe ask them to make you an offer.

And, $5000 isn't a serious price drop. Go bigger if you want to get rid of it.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 PM

502 posts, read 896,379 times
BTW, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It must be so frustrating to have no control of the circumstances surrounding you that have such a powerful impact on your life. I feel for you.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:10 PM

This will make a $20k total price drop from six months ago, when we were told that it was priced appropriately. I'm sorry to reject all the advice offered, but -- honestly -- I've tried everything. No, no other neighbor is interested in buying it. They're mostly folks in their 80s.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Maybe this isn't legal, I'm just an average joe lurking here...........
Is the price at all within the reach of a cop or fireman?
put the word out via actual physical bulletin board or word of mouth that you are selling at a special discounted
price to cops or firemen only.
Maybe they won't feel intimated by the trash next door. Make sure your slumlord neighbor knows too.

Old 06-03-2015, 02:46 PM

Now, that's creative thinking; I like it!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:09 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Now, that's creative thinking; I like it!
there are programs called Heroes next door or something like that which helps get mortgages for policemen, firemen, etc, so maybe you can market to them like the other person said and have them get their loan thru the program.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM

686 posts, read 1,101,821 times
Quote:
No; he has no money. Hopes to make some with this! Any ideas?
Take a note from him - let him sign a second mortgage.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Take a note from him - let him sign a second mortgage.
His wife would never agree to that, IF he could even get one; they already have a second mortgage on their main house, plus his elderly/ailing MIL has two other houses that aren't paid off (one has been on the market for three years).

But I love the "Heros Next Door" idea; that neighbhood could USE more cops!

Old 06-04-2015, 08:46 AM

686 posts, read 1,101,821 times
Quote:
His wife would never agree to that, IF he could even get one; they already have a second mortgage on their main house, plus his elderly/ailing MIL has two other houses that aren't paid off (one has been on the market for three years.
If you accept his note/mortgage, that is all that matters. You understand that YOU are the only other person in the transaction - nobody else, no mortgage company, is involved.

I am curious - why does this person have another, or "main house" in addition to the house you are talking about? If you mentioned it in a prior post, just post a link to it. Otherwise, I don't understand why anyone who can't afford to own one house now owns two...and what does the issue with a relative with house issues have to do with your property and your co-owner?

Do you have a co-owner because you inherited it together, or did you enter into an agreement with someone to buy a house? That is almost never a smart idea.

Finally, I agree with others here - your price is evidently too high for the market. What does your real estate agent say about the price of your house relative to sales comps? It is irrelevant that you have dropped the price $20k over how many months if your house is overpriced relative to the market. To sell, consider dropping your price to just under the market.

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 06-04-2015 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals