Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:58 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times

Advertisements

As a Realtor, I can not fix a clients problem next door. It is your job, or hire an attorney to help you figure it out. It is fairly complicated, and your choice of words would likely make it worse due to your lack of understanding of how quick they will backfire when you're not careful.

Your initial description eludes me to think either you live in a small town or your home is a million bucks (nicest home, nicest neighborhood). Either way you should have a bit of clout, talk to the mayor, police chief and commission. If you don't want to speak publicly at least email them, or something. We are talking city officials here not the POTUS, shouldn't be that hard to get to know them and get some help.

It is about how you approach people. If your reputation proceeds you it can either go well or go sour. You should know, if people respect you in town, use it to your advantage, if they don't well then I suppose you better have a lawyer handle it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 07:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
It was, up until about ten years ago, one of the most desirable neighborhoods in town and this street, being shaded and dead-end, was one of the nicest. Mine was one of the first three houses built (on a double lot), this one by an attorney.

Under ordinary circumstances, we could've expected it to go for $150k or more, despite its lack of cosmetic "updates." Not now.

I've been told I can go before the city commission and ask that certain behaviors (like hanging wet laundry all over the fence that runs along the property boundary, 1" on their property, and the shrubs and even the front porch railing) be addressed with a new ordinance, because no such ordinance is on the books because -- who does that? Apparently no one ever has before, because it's not on the books. The music blasting out of all the open windows and doors because they don't have a/c and all sit on the front lawn drinking beer in various states of undress listening to music. Outside limited prescribed hours in the middle of the night, no law against it. But it won't help sell a house on a shared driveway.

However, I didn't think it wise to go on TV (our local cable station televises each meeting for public consumption) and broadcast the issues preventing me from selling my house.

Again, the property/restaurant owner, who himself lives in a nice gated community, is well-liked in town, and his restaurants are wildly popular. Furthermore, no one in a position of authority and possibly running for re-election wishes to appear racist, bigoted, politically incorrect, or "mean" by picking on anyone in today's political climate because that's very unpopular with voters who don't have to live next door to this (and that would be most voters).

I can see why, because the wrath of hades will surely rain down upon you if you so much as state the case factually; again, thanks to those self-righteously viewing the situation from a safe distance.

What can a lawyer do about infractions against which there are currently no ordinances?

Although I DO feel like suing someone. Surely realtors are running into this and handling it somehow.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-28-2015 at 07:36 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 11:00 AM

86 posts, read 82,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
It was, up until about ten years ago, one of the most desirable neighborhoods in town and this street, being shaded and dead-end, was one of the nicest. Mine was one of the first three houses built (on a double lot), this one by an attorney.

Under ordinary circumstances, we could've expected it to go for $150k or more, despite its lack of cosmetic "updates." Not now.

I've been told I can go before the city commission and ask that certain behaviors (like hanging wet laundry all over the fence that runs along the property boundary, 1" on their property, and the shrubs and even the front porch railing) be addressed with a new ordinance, because no such ordinance is on the books because -- who does that? Apparently no one ever has before, because it's not on the books. The music blasting out of all the open windows and doors because they don't have a/c and all sit on the front lawn drinking beer in various states of undress listening to music. Outside limited prescribed hours in the middle of the night, no law against it. But it won't help sell a house on a shared driveway.

However, I didn't think it wise to go on TV (our local cable station televises each meeting for public consumption) and broadcast the issues preventing me from selling my house.

Again, the property/restaurant owner, who himself lives in a nice gated community, is well-liked in town, and his restaurants are wildly popular. Furthermore, no one in a position of authority and possibly running for re-election wishes to appear racist, bigoted, politically incorrect, or "mean" by picking on anyone in today's political climate because that's very unpopular with voters who don't have to live next door to this (and that would be most voters).

I can see why, because the wrath of hades will surely rain down upon you if you so much as state the case factually; again, thanks to those self-righteously viewing the situation from a safe distance.

What can a lawyer do about infractions against which there are currently no ordinances?

Although I DO feel like suing someone. Surely realtors are running into this and handling it somehow.
Just gonna leave this here - two quotes from just one of your posts in a prior thread:

"Having a million out-of-control noisy kids and living on welfare doesn't help matters."

"Also, who buys a house without immediately cleaning it before moving in? Well, maybe Mexicans, which may be our target audience here."

Is this stating the case "factually"? Imo, you've earned every bit of the "wrath" you've faced on here. This is something like your third thread on the same subject, which in essence boils down to "Bad neighbors are bringing down my property value but let me take this opportunity to share some of my bigoted views."

By the way, as someone who lives in Los Angeles, I have a lot of neighbors, and quite a few bad ones. That's what happens when you live around other people - imagine that. Usually (but not always), all it takes is a friendly conversation. But surely you haven't tried this yet, even though I suggested it long, long ago. Your excuse is, well, they're Mexican and don't speak English. To that, my answer is: Google translate. Or are they illiterate too?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 AM

They do have a million noisy kids and receive Welfare. The property is indeed filthy. I could go on.

I once read in a travel guide, "If seeing men urinate in the street offends you, you might want to skip Mexico." I suppose such a travelogue would be banned today for its "bigoted" political incorrectness? Nonetheless, it's one of many cultural differences. Some aren't a problem when it comes to selling real estate; others are.

I'm simply reporting what I'm seeing. Sorry if the truth "offends" you.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-28-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 11:29 AM

86 posts, read 82,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
They do have a million noisy kids and receive Welfare. The property is indeed filthy. I could go on.

I once read in a travel guide, "If seeing men urinate in the street offends you, you might want to skip Mexico." I suppose such a travelogue would be banned today for its "bigoted" political incorrectness? Nonetheless, it's one of many cultural differences. Some aren't a problem when it comes to selling real estate; others are.

I'm simply reporting what I'm seeing. Sorry if the truth "offends" you.
The fact that your neighbors pee in the yard and are loud don't offend me at all. I'm in another state, what do I care? What irks me is that you attribute bad characteristics of your neighbors and apply it to a very large group of people in an irrelevant context, then you bemoan people calling you out on it.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:46 AM

I'm sure the restaurant owner, in his lovely gated community, isn't peeing in the yard. I'm sure he has ASSIMILATED and adapted to the cultural norms of his adopted country... Sadly, he isn't the one living next door.

Last edited by otterhere; 07-28-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 12:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Forget suing. Forget the city council. Forget ethnicities.

Get out of the ownership of this house. Sell your interest to your brother. Do whatever you have to to rid yourself of this problem.

The shared driveway alone would be a problem, but the situation now is beyond hope and you just need to GTFO.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Forget suing. Forget the city council. Forget ethnicities.

Get out of the ownership of this house. Sell your interest to your brother. Do whatever you have to to rid yourself of this problem.

The shared driveway alone would be a problem, but the situation now is beyond hope and you just need to GTFO.
Joint ownership; co-owner (sibling; we inherited it) isn't ready to fold yet.

And can't afford to buy me out.

TWO German roaches found in the house; never saw a roach in 50 years.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:42 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Post ya know...

I feel your pain. Realtors are a PITA. Just keep marketing your house and when you find the family that you think might enjoy living there, then it's your call as to who you sell your house to. No need to mention the particular 'M' situation to your Realtor, maybe hire an ethnic Realtor(?)...just take your flyers and pin them up in the areas that you think might be interested...Laundromats, 'specialty' markets etc. Glad you sent the rude Realtor on his way...I fired 4 morons while I was trying to sell my property. Best of luck.
Koale

Old 08-01-2015, 02:33 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Evidently you didn't get the memo - "caucasian" refers to people from the Caucasus region of Eurasia and is no longer accepted as a catch-all category for labeling white people.

In other words, the vast majority of white people in the US are NOT true caucasians. So stop using the term.
Q: Why is it OK for race-related terms to change every few years? Can you imagine if all concepts were subjected to such arbitrary whims (by irrelevant academics and overly PC hair-splitters) in what they were "properly" called, what confusion would result? A: It's not OK and you use what term you want and I will do likewise, until and unless the term I use is not understood by a majority of people, which will not happen in my lifetime in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals