Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times

Advertisements

I am the seller, I hired a real estate agent who runs his own business, lets call him not real name Joes Real Estate. I am going to round off numbers and everything I have is in writing due to mostly emails. The time lines are dated. My house was listed for 230K. Joe my real estate agent emails me a letter and says I have a great offer for you. Its for 227,000 only 3,000 less than asking. You can counter offer but as your broker its a good offer. So He sends me the contract to sign. Now the contract is under REMAX I guess the buyers agent. It has all the numbers filled out right Purchase price 227,000 and the whole mess of pages that go along with the contract under the sellers agent. At the end I see that the seller that's me pays for the buyers closing cost of lets say 10,000. Now listen that 10K is not my issue. Here is my issue. I refused the offer due to that 10K me paying the closing cost. I email my lawyer no need to waste his time tell the lawyer mine to refuse the contract. I also get the buyers mortage info and purchase price of 227,000 minus the deposits and stuff. However I never signed the contract, just told them no deal.

Now me and my realtor Joe are kind of not getting along. He sends me an email 3 days later saying this to me,

I am in receipt of your voice mails and email. THE ACTUAL OFFER ON YOUR HOME IS 217,900 WITH THE 10k SELLERS CONSCESSION. However he did not word it like he got the price higher. It was unclear.

Ok now this to me seem wrong. I mean we never did that counter offer stuff to get to the 217, 900, my real estate agent told me in writing that the offer was for 227,000. So it seems to me the whole contract was made up numbers but it was on the sellers agents stationary. Or was he saying to me he got the price up he did not state that. I guess I did not trust the guy so it would not have worked anyway. Maybe I may have jumped the gun but there was a lot of other things that made me skeptical. In the ad for my house he said new septic and the septic was not to be done until I got a contract that I liked. On his website my house was priced higher than on Zillow by 20 K. All this lead to distrust. So he was misleading the buyers too.

Well I got out of my contract with Joes reality. I could not trust this man. I did pay him for the time he did do and we both came to a price. I wanted out of this contract with him and did not want to wait it out so I felt it was better to pay the guy for the work he did. But in hindsight forget the money, but was this shady??

THe good news is I sold my house on my own to my friend!!! So I should shut up and be glad he wanted to get rid of me too!!

Last edited by stevemorse; 07-28-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 10:31 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
He should have made clear that the original net offer was for $217,000...but you understood that after reading the proposed contract. You never countered--as you should have done--but it worked out for you. Don't worry, be happy.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
thanks

Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
He got an offer for you of 227k with 10k in cc. You were asking 230k. There was a miscommunication on net.

It was cleared up but then rather than counter you chose to tell the buyer no and then cancelled the listing agreement with your agent.

If that's right, I don't understand why you just didn't counter?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:47 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I'm wondering if your agent looked it over quickly and missed the closing costs on first glance before he shot off the email?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM

153 posts, read 194,562 times
Are these just made up numbers, or are CC seriously that expensive where you live? 10K? That is ridiculous.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:34 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
I've had agents call me with the details of an offer/counter which I've relayed to my client but then when the actual contract/counter shows up there is a little turd that the agent failed to mention. I'm guessing this is what happened with Joe. The verbal description of the offer did not contain all the details of the offer. Don't immediately assume wrongdoing just because the vast majority of us agents are crooks and liars. You may have had a good one.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Wink Finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I've had agents call me with the details of an offer/counter which I've relayed to my client but then when the actual contract/counter shows up there is a little turd that the agent failed to mention. I'm guessing this is what happened with Joe. The verbal description of the offer did not contain all the details of the offer. Don't immediately assume wrongdoing just because the vast majority of us agents are crooks and liars. You may have had a good one.
Straight from the horses mouth.
K

Old 07-29-2015, 03:55 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Straight from the horses mouth.
K
It's not a secret.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:44 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SeanWalker- View Post
Are these just made up numbers, or are CC seriously that expensive where you live? 10K? That is ridiculous.
I believe the OP is in NJ and that's low. On Long Island these days you generally need at least $20K for closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals