Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times

Advertisements

It's a split level with an attached garage. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 03:59 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
There is a term called "snout house", but it seems to refer to those where the garage covers nearly all the front of the house. Usually on narrow lots and/or "zero lot line" homes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snout_house

I had one like you're looking for, in Colorado, except the garage was a "side-loader", with a curved driveway. Made snow removal a real chore.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:55 AM

67 posts, read 64,686 times
I don't see "L" shaped just because the garage is in the front. I wouldn't think a house shape would include the garage. Besides I believe "L shaped" is really usually to describe a rambler (or in California we call them ranch) one-level homes.

A true "split level" home is you walk in the door and can either go up or down. You would go up to the kitchen and down to the basement -- no living area at all on the main floor when you walk in.

A multi-level would be if you walk in and have living area on the main floor, go up to say a den or study, and then go up to bedrooms.

There's no garages on "different levels" unless it's a townhome/condo/apartment. All single family, detached housing would have the garage on the "same level" in 99% instances.

Looks like a two-story home to me. If you want to include the drop down to a family room you could call it multi-level -- but that's only if it's truly another level and not just sunken.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 AM

9 posts, read 7,286 times
Technically what you're talking about is a split entry, not what I'm referring to. A split entry is just as it sounds: when you walk in the door, you are presented with two sets of stairs. From the outside it's easy to see; the door is at its own vertical height that does not line up with the top or the bottom floor. Almost always, the garage is directly underneath the house with the sloping driveway.

Within the split level category there are several types; according to the MLS the house types I am referring to are called trilevel or quad level depending on whether or not they have a sub basement. However, from the outside they look identical since the subbasement is completely under the main ground level floor. They typically have the stairs near the kitchen, with one set going up and one set going down. The kitchen, dining room, foyer and garage are all on one level, three bedrooms and a bathroom are upstairs and the den is downstairs, Typically with an additional bedroom and bathroom built in.

If you type a trilevel or quad level into Google images, a bunch of similar house styles come up, so I know that is the right term, the issue is that I'm not delineating ones that have a garage that is specifically attached to the front of the house. Also, many of these various tri/quad have detached garages in back so I do not agree that 99% are how I'm looking. A simple Google search will show that I am correct.

Calling a "trilevel with an attached garage" is not good enough: some trilevels have the garage at the lower level height, some trilevels have the garage attached to the side, etc.

Trust me, it's not a two story home. The top level's floor is halfway up the garage height and inside of the garage, there are 4 to 5 steps down in the back that lead to the lower level for entry inside of the garage, there are 4 to 5 steps down in the back the lead to the lower level for entry into the house at the partially submerged level.

If you look at the back of the house it's extremely easy to tell that it's a split level.

Anyway, I guess the real question I was asking here is, what is a term that I can type into Google to bring up examples that include a garage attached to the front of the house? Because all of the examples given so far don't actually bring up those images and I have already tried all of those variations. So if you have one that actually delivers the correct type of home I am looking for, please post it below.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:56 AM

89 posts, read 116,362 times
I'd call it sold if it was listed with me, sorry couldn't pass that one up, lol.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:23 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brballinger View Post
I am having trouble locating this home style on google, when searching for photos of similar homes.

I would normally call it an "L-Shaped Tri-Level" or "L-Shaped Split-Level" but if you pull up a google image search with those phrases, nothing shows an attached garage in this manner.

Is there a better name for this type of layout that I am missing, specifically, with a front-attached garage as shown?
Brady Bunch!

Old 08-10-2016, 02:48 PM

9 posts, read 7,286 times
Thanks for the help everyone!

/sarcasm

Old 08-10-2016, 04:08 PM

455 posts, read 464,052 times
When I was a kid, I lived in Louisville, KY in a split-level home. I'd call it that, regardless of where the garage is, if in fact, it is a split and not a two-story. (Based on number of steps between each level.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals