Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:50 PM

275 posts, read 1,761,354 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those knowledgeable about South Carolina Real Estate. I just purchased a home (closing was a few days ago) and while my wife and I were cleaning today we discovered a hole in the drywall. The hole is about 3 inches wide and about 1 foot long. It was hidden by a decorative wall hanging. During the inspection, my inspector did not look behind items hanging on the wall and neither did I. At the final walk-through, I did not notice this was left because it is a subtle color that blends in with the wall a bit.

I am wondering if I have any recourse to go after the sellers because it is quite obvious now they were hiding this hole. There are no studs near the hole, so a sizeable piece of drywall will need to be removed in order to repair the hole.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 07:13 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Did they leave the decorative wall hanging?

Old 11-06-2016, 07:19 PM

Yes, they left the decorative wall hanging. Unfortunately, I did not notice it was left during the walk-through. Otherwise, I would have looked behind it, but it sort of blended in with the wall.

Old 11-06-2016, 07:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
ask your agent, who is intimately familiar with your particular contract.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:49 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Your contract might describe this sort of thing as cosmetic so it's possible that they wouldn't be responsible for fixing it, anyway. However, if it is what I am picturing in my mind, it is a much smaller repair than you are thinking. I used to have a dog that would regularly damage walls. It's not that tricky and actually pretty simple. There are lots of You Tube videos showing you how to do it.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Your contract might describe this sort of thing as cosmetic so it's possible that they wouldn't be responsible for fixing it, anyway. However, if it is what I am picturing in my mind, it is a much smaller repair than you are thinking. I used to have a dog that would regularly damage walls. It's not that tricky and actually pretty simple. There are lots of You Tube videos showing you how to do it.
Thanks. My agent is on vacation out of the country. I sent her an email, but do not expect to receive a reply for a while. I know how to repair the hole, but will have to cut out more drywall in order to expose studs to attach the new piece of drywall. This issue is very frustrating for me. It was deceitful to cover this up!

Old 11-08-2016, 06:41 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,745,652 times
Cutting out a rectangle 16" wide (stud to stud) x whatever it is high can be done in about a minute. And, really, you don't even need to do that. Honestly, watch a few of the videos. I wouldn't tell you it was easy if it wasn't and accidents happen so knowing several ways to fix different types of holes is worth knowing.

I completely understand why you are upset, though. I can't stand liars and those who deceive but you have to look at the big picture. You now have the home you wanted and, in the overall scheme of things, this is a pretty simple, minor, cosmetic repair. Don't let your anger consume you. Shrug it off, fix it (or have someone fix it for you), and enjoy your new home.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:43 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Shouldn't/couldn't this have been discovered during the pre-closing walk through? That was the time to correct it.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
A minor repair AND a defect that should have been caught either during viewing or the final walkthrough. I wouldn't bother going after the seller and if I did I wouldn't expect to get anything much.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
It depends on what contract you used. Not sure what the SCAR state contract calls for which I'm guessing is what you used in G-ville. Typically with our local contract in Columbia the seller would be responsible for that because they can't hide defects like you said. Call your BIC for your agent since they are unavailable and have them go back through the listing agent and ask the seller to pay for the repair and painting. If they don't agree you could try magistrate court but I'd guess the amount isn't worth involving an attorney. Not legal advice since I don't know your contract-call the Broker in Charge!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals