Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2017, 04:21 PM

11 posts, read 8,785 times

Advertisements

I'm an agent in California and have a question for a Realtor in Florida...

When a home is put "Under Contract" what does that mean? I saw an agent mention getting a listing Under Contact but it still shows "Active" on the MLS/Zillow in Florida... days later.

Is there a waiting period or something that needs to happen before an agent will change it in the MLS? Are you supposed to take it off Active when an agreement is reached?

I know in California you are supposed to change Status as soon as an agreement is made to either Under Contract or Back-Up.

I just wanted to see if Florida had different rules.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by FriendInNeed; 03-09-2017 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 06:50 PM

536 posts, read 852,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendInNeed View Post
I was a broker in CA before I became a broker here in FL.

I had to unlearn about 50% of what I was taught was the gospel at my CA GRI classes in order to pass my FL state exams.

Almost everything is different here. In CA you have Trust Deeds. Here it's mortgages.

The contracts are very different. Foreclosure & short sales & release of deficiency judgments are completely different.

CA RE laws are written to protect the consumer, in many ways, especially with limiting liquidated damages.

FL RE laws are written more to promote big business & corporations. FL allows up to 20% liquidated damages when an out of state would-be vacation home buyer fails to perform. Adios, deposit & upgrades!

A CA transaction might have 30+ pages of Disclosures. FL barely has any.

Yes...the FL contract you're questioning should be switched to Pending.

But last year, I bought a FHLMC foreclosure as an investment property. The FL REO listing broker was also an officer for the local board. She never entered the SOLD status for a couple weeks after I had closed escrow & recorded. I kept getting would be buyers sniffing around my rehab project.

I had to complain to her office multiple times to change the listing to SOLD.

If I did that as the listing broker on one of my transactions...I would have been fined by the same board.

You know how it is...do as we say, not as we do.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:10 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,502,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post

Yes...the FL contract you're questioning should be switched to Pending.
A listing in our MLS is marked as Active-Contingent until all contingencies affecting the sale are removed. Those contingencies can include home inspections and buyer financing. When the contingency is added to the listing, we can preset a date when the sale will go Pending, and that date is easily identified using the timeline set forth in the purchase and sale agreement.

Old 03-10-2017, 05:06 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,743,344 times
It wouldn't be a "Florida thing" as much as a MLS rule. You might want to say where the property is located so someone familiar with the appropriate system can comment. Ours is the Mid-Florida MLS and the property status has to be changed within 2 business days.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:53 PM

351 posts, read 460,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendInNeed View Post
I'm an agent in California and have a question for a Realtor in Florida...

When a home is put "Under Contract" what does that mean? I saw an agent mention getting a listing Under Contact but it still shows "Active" on the MLS/Zillow in Florida... days later.

Is there a waiting period or something that needs to happen before an agent will change it in the MLS? Are you supposed to take it off Active when an agreement is reached?

I know in California you are supposed to change Status as soon as an agreement is made to either Under Contract or Back-Up.

Thanks for your help.
"Under Contract" is when the contract has been signed by both parties - in the MLS it should show as PS (Pending Sale) or Accepting Back-up offers (BU)

I'm a member of the Miami Association of Realtors(R) and we have 2 business days to report status changes.

Now, a bunch of Realtors here don't follow that rule and I don't think that rule gets enforced unless the infraction gets reported to the Miami Association of Realtors(R) (MAR). The MAR is the largest local Realtor(R) Association in the country with more than 40K members, so who in the world can monitor all that activity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals