Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 PM

6,380 posts, read 5,500,035 times

Advertisements

(Warning: fairly long/potentially over-detailed post!)

Hello RE Professionals,

Long-time RE "fanboy" here. I've always been interested in Real Estate; even as a kid interestingly enough (the fact that my dad is a builder probably has a lot to do with it). Buying my first home last year and going through that process made me even more "addicted"..and I still search through local listings daily just to get a "feel" for the local market and honestly feel like I have a good grasp on it. Definitely more-so than most of my peers.

I'm 28, single, and ready for a change. I've been at the same place of employment since I was a senior in college (have moved up quite a bit since graduation and am at a level II director position now) and feel "stuck". I applied for and was surprisingly offered a great job in my current field in another city about 3 hours form where I live right now. After being offered said job in an area that I've always thought I'd like to live.... I found my gut telling me it wasn't the right change.

I've toyed around with the idea of leaving my career field (Y-Career in Youth Development Programming department) to work in RE field for a while. What had been keeping me back was the lack of stability in the RE market and the fact that I have a salary (though NOT a very high one) with health insurance and retirement now. I've seen a few Administrative Assistance positions posted by the largest local RE company and one is now open right down the road from where I live.

My thought is....potentially get the admin job; work in the office, take the Licensure courses in the evening (offered at the same location) and see if becoming an agent is feasible/practical.

I get really excited thinking about this process but I'd definitely like some feedback from folks in the field now (if my local RE experts on C-D...who know who they are...want to chime in...that would be great! ).... is this a realistic/practical plan? Work a salaried position in the RE office for a little while, take the pre-license classes in the evening, hopefully get license and start as an agent within the next year. ( For some perspective; the mid-range of the admin jobs I've seen posted is very close to what I make now in a career field I've been working in full-time for 4 years )

Does this sound like a realistic way to start out a RE career from those of you who've been there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 07:25 PM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Get the license first.
Then you can watch the activity and flow from a different perspective from the get go.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Get the license first.
Then you can watch the activity and flow from a different perspective from the get go.
How do you get your license while working? My current job is too demanding to take the courses at the same time and I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea of no income for the months it would take to get the license and and start working as an agent. Especially because I know it will take a pretty decent amount of professional capital (my own money) to get started out as an agent.

I don't want the admin job as a "test" to see if I'd like the field....I know I'd like the field. I see the admin job as more of a placeholder/foot in the door so I can still work and have income while getting my license. What better place to do that than an actual RE office?. Am I viewing that position incorrectly?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
They're going to work you pretty hard, but maybe you'll have time to study too. Are you planning on doing online schooling?

Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
They're going to work you pretty hard, but maybe you'll have time to study too. Are you planning on doing online schooling?
There's an evening class at the same location as the admin position would be. 6:00-10:00 2 nights per week starting in late August through early November.

I went ahead and applied for the best admin job I found posted. Looks like it was posted 3 weeks ago so I hope it isn't a zombie posting because it honestly couldn't be more perfect location-wise and affiliation-wise for what I'm looking for.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Best of luck to you! FWIW... I don't know what the posted hours are... but real estate agents never turn off their phones.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
How do you get your license while working? My current job is too demanding to take the courses at the same time and I don't think I'm comfortable with the idea of no income for the months it would take to get the license and and start working as an agent. Especially because I know it will take a pretty decent amount of professional capital (my own money) to get started out as an agent.

I don't want the admin job as a "test" to see if I'd like the field....I know I'd like the field. I see the admin job as more of a placeholder/foot in the door so I can still work and have income while getting my license. What better place to do that than an actual RE office?. Am I viewing that position incorrectly?
Weekends or evenings.
https://www.jymonk.com/broker-prelic...=Raleigh%2C+NC

Then get the admin job, which will be even easier to get when you bring a license to the party.
The idea is to have the formal training before observing the practices in the office.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Best of luck to you! FWIW... I don't know what the posted hours are... but real estate agents never turn off their phones.
No posted hours. It looks like the admin position is salaried.

My phone is already never off so that much I'm used to!

I am surprised by the wording in some of the admin jobs I've seen posted; the richest I've seen is this...

Quote:
Rule #1 You can NOT want our jobs… we don’t mean our jobs specifically. We mean this is not a job for an aspiring realtor. This is an OFFICE position. This does not mean that you cannot have your real estate license, in fact it is encouraged and eventually you will be required to obtain one (which means more income). It means that you have no desire to use it to build your own business. This is a SUPPORT position with growth potential within the team in that capacity.

Rule #2 We work HARD. If you’re looking to clock out at 5pm and not answer any emails after 7pm, then this job isn’t for you. If you believe that personal issues, dealings, and deficiencies are allowed as excuses to prevent the team to achieve greatness, then this job isn’t for you. Your flat tire or misplaced car keys are none of our business; your punctuality, commitment to excellence, and driven personality are.
...warm and fuzzy feeling!

Won't be submitting an application for that one. Yikes.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
No posted hours. It looks like the admin position is salaried.

My phone is already never off so that much I'm used to!

I am surprised by the wording in some of the admin jobs I've seen posted; the richest I've seen is this...

...warm and fuzzy feeling!

Won't be submitting an application for that one. Yikes.
Well, they are transparent.
Wait until you take the job with fuzzy requirements that evolves into the same reality as above...
Some people really value their admins. Others go through admins like Taylor Swift goes through fellers.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Well, they are transparent.
Wait until you take the job with fuzzy requirements that evolves into the same reality as above...
Some people really value their admins. Others go through admins like Taylor Swift goes through fellers.
Hell...if a position turns into the one quoted; I'd see it as more motivation to get the license to come on as an agent somewhere else and GTHO of there!

FM/Home Team job seems more up my alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals