Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,289,333 times

Advertisements

I am selling a home currently being rented. I think I get a good return on few improvements vs. an "as-is" sale. However, I am not local. Location of house is the SF Peninsula.

Focusing on the agent's scope, say there are four things to do (example, new floors, interior paint, landscaping and staging).

Is it reasonable to expect the agent with get this done and oversee the process and completion?

Is it reasonable to expect the agent would limit her role to supervising whomever I contract?

Contracting everyone to get the work done is something I would rather not do.

No Contract yet signed. Commissioned presented was 5%.

I have never been involved in a sale, only purchases so I just want to know the ground rules.

Thanks!
S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:32 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Are the tenants going to be gone then? I would assume so?

Sure, I would assist an out of state client by opening the house for a few contractors, or better yet, installing a contractor lockbox with a combination, as part of getting it ready to sell for you. I would then go by and check on the work during and/or after.

Depending how much time ends up being involved, what the price of the home is, and how many trips are required there to supervise work, a little bit higher commission might be asked for, assuming it will be split 50-50 with the buyer's broker, but that too, is between you and your broker. .

Old 08-06-2017, 07:53 AM

68 posts, read 90,141 times
Hi,
I think you should take advice from an experienced real estate agent.
Thanks!!

Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 AM

43,302 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
I am selling a home currently being rented. I think I get a good return on few improvements vs. an "as-is" sale. However, I am not local. Location of house is the SF Peninsula.

Focusing on the agent's scope, say there are four things to do (example, new floors, interior paint, landscaping and staging).

Is it reasonable to expect the agent with get this done and oversee the process and completion?

Is it reasonable to expect the agent would limit her role to supervising whomever I contract?

Contracting everyone to get the work done is something I would rather not do.

No Contract yet signed. Commissioned presented was 5%.

I have never been involved in a sale, only purchases so I just want to know the ground rules.

Thanks!
S.
Are you listing with your property manager?

Generally, the good ones have vendors who can knock out work like this. They do it all the time for clients between occupancies.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:27 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,329,967 times
Be aware the prices for this type of work in SF will knock your socks off. Very expensive even compared to San Diego.

Hard to tell but were you suggesting the agent pay the contractors? No bueno.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals