Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 PM

340 posts, read 223,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, here for the benefit of real estate professionals is my standard disclaimer for mold in a real estate sales contract. Feel free to use it without credit or fee.

Mold, Mildew, Fungus, Bacteria and Other Living Organisms. The parties acknowledge that mold, mildew, fungus, bacteria and other living organisms (collectively "biological pollutants") are present in the air and atmosphere, on surfaces of every type and are naturally occurring in every home. Biological pollutants generally present no health hazard or property damage risk in most homes. However, concentrations of biological pollutants can greatly increase as a result of environmental conditions. High humidity and warm temperatures and the combination of these factors are associated with growth of biological pollutants in houses. This growth can present health hazards and/or damage to property. Modification, improper operation, and/or maintenance of the heating and air conditioning and/or insulation systems of the Real Estate can result in conditions that are more favorable for the growth of biological pollutants. Malfunction of sump pumps and/or changes in the exterior drainage patterns can also contribute to growth of biological pollutants. The United States Environmental Protection Agency ("EPA") has issued publications to assist homeowners in identifying and avoiding conditions giving rise to the growth of biological pollutants. Seller urges Purchaser to read these publications. The local address of the EPA is xxxx yyyyyyyyy, zzzzzzzzzz. Seller has no expertise in the detection of biological pollutants or in the methods for reduction of biological pollutants once they have been detected. Seller makes no representations of any kind regarding the existence or absence of biological pollutants or any toxic substance in or around the Real Estate. Purchaser understands and acknowledges that Seller does not warrant that any biological pollutants related testing has been done in the Real Estate, nor does Seller make any warranties, express or implied, regarding biological pollutants as they relate to the Real Estate or the habitability thereof. Purchaser releases Seller from all claims of any kind Purchaser may have now or that may arise hereafter against Seller in any way related to the existence of biological pollutants or other toxic substances in or around the Real Estate whether they result from construction and/or design defects, improper repair or maintenance or otherwise.
While I appreciate the disclaimer, you still didn't address my challenge of your use of the word "unfriendly" regarding chemical treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggy_house View Post
While I appreciate the disclaimer, you still didn't address my challenge of your use of the word "unfriendly" regarding chemical treatments.

I was just ignoring it. You can't put borax all over everything. And, you can't put it in the a/c ducts and you can't put it in the wall cavities and you can't put it behind the sink. Suggestion was pointless and I was trying to politely ignore it.

You can spray methanol which actually does kill off the mold, temporarily, but it is unfriendly.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I ask because I think my area has one particular unethical mold guy. The supposed mold he's talking about doesn't even look like anything and when asked if we should test it to be sure he said no way and wanted 2000 bucks to remediate it. Buyer and seller went half and half on a test for 300 bucks and found out there is nothing toxic and nothing needs to be done. The second guy explained that a mold guy makes less than 100 bucks to test for mold and in the thousands to remediate. I went to researching this on line and found out it is a tactic less reputable mold operations use. They don't want to find out that nothing needs to be done. They tell you everything has to be remediated and because people are so mold scared they believe it.

Mold is actually everywhere and in every house there is. Tests are always positive, but something that will kill you is very rare. It's a judgement call really but I just want to encourage people question so called experts if something doesn't seem right.
There are a LOT of them that seem to peddle on peoples fears. While I do understand that there is the possibility that it could be a dangerous problem, the paranoia in the general public about it seems to far outstrip the relative danger.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I was just ignoring it. You can't put borax all over everything.
Well actually you can, but you might grow tired of it after a while.

Quote:
And, you can't put it in the a/c ducts
Actually you can, and I often do. It's a great way to control condensation if applied properly.

Quote:
and you can't put it in the wall cavities
Actually yes you can, and I often do. It can tremendously help to remediate current mold problems, as well as act a a terrific security measure.

Quote:
and you can't put it behind the sink.
Again, yes, you can. It's a great way to prevent roach and ant infestation. I do this regularly and never have a problem.

Quote:
Suggestion was pointless and I was trying to politely ignore it.

You can spray methanol which actually does kill off the mold, temporarily, but it is unfriendly.
You just keep telling your self that you can't use borax in any of those specified places, and keep huffing your methanol. At least you will be polite in your ignorance

Old 11-22-2017, 12:25 AM

And, this ^^^ is exactly why I ignored this suggestion of curing a mold problem with Borax.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
And, this ^^^ is exactly why I ignored this suggestion of curing a mold problem with Borax.

Oh well, You probably never listened to your mom when she told you that broccoli was good for you either.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 PM

I avoid arguments with people like you who do not know anything much about science.

Borax is not an inert substance. It is highly active. And, powerful. Your children shouldn't come in contact with it. The dust is toxic to inhale. It is destructive in contact with moisture (which is why you have mold in the first place).

Read a little, learn a little and leave me alone. I don't have time for your education.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I avoid arguments with people like you who do not know anything much about science.

Borax is not an inert substance. It is highly active. And, powerful. Your children shouldn't come in contact with it. The dust is toxic to inhale. It is destructive in contact with moisture (which is why you have mold in the first place).

Read a little, learn a little and leave me alone. I don't have time for your education.
It's also "toxic" to ingest, just the same as common table salt can kill you. The irony being that it'd take about a pound of each in a short time for either one to be fatal.

You've obviously fallen hook line and sinker for the FDA propaganda.

You really should read a little more past what the gov't wants you to buy.

I frequently add a pinch of borax to my morning coffee, for health purposes. But according to the FDA, I should be in the dying roach position by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals