Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:22 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

I debated where to put this and whether to post it at all, but the issue cropped up again recently and I'm genuinely curious...

I live in a 'niche' neighborhood in Los Angeles, big well-maintained homes in a little enclave just smack in the middle of the mega-suburb. It's not Beverly Hills, or Bel Air...it's one of those unheralded little gems under the radar.

There are a few (literally 2-4) mega agents that specialize in this area. They're super competitive. Plaster our homes with postcards and calendars and notepads and all sorts of other stuff. Their headshots are everywhere. They move a lot of inventory (though usually just 'outside' of our enclave because turnover within is rare). But anyway...

One of these guys lives a couple houses down and he and his family are...the bad neighbor. Parties, underage drinking, fireworks, f'd up parking, etc. It baffles me. Everyone knows who he is and where he lives. A couple of us have spoken to him now and again when something gets really out of hand, and he's not impolite but it keeps happening.

Impossible question, I know, but WHAT COULD HE POSSIBLY BE THINKING!?? My other neighbors are baffled by it as well. A bunch of us had an impromptu conversation on a morning walk where we traced a problematic fireworks issue to his house. At the end all of us said we'd never in a million years use him to sell or buy a home.

I dunno, maybe I'm just venting a bit but I don't understand how someone with the need and desire to maintain a positive image would do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
you're venting

he's not concerned, obviously.

I do agree, it's important to be a GREAT neighbor when you're in the business.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:29 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,090,460 times
And the cobbler's children have no shoes

Doesn't sound like the neighbor wants to generate much business from the neighbors.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:43 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you're venting

he's not concerned, obviously.

I do agree, it's important to be a GREAT neighbor when you're in the business.
I always wondered if that's actually 'taught' to newbies in the RE world...is it?

Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I always wondered if that's actually 'taught' to newbies in the RE world...is it?

No, but if one is going to heavily market to your own neighborhood, I'd think it'd be common sense to not make enemies there.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:24 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
if someone's not smart enough to get that basic principle, I doubt they're open to learning

Old 01-19-2018, 03:56 PM

89 posts, read 83,080 times
I had a retired couple next door to me. They would spend the winter in Hawaii and Palm Springs. For years I shovelled their huge driveway for no compensation. In Canada. Just to be a friendly neighbor. They knew I was an agent. After 10 years of this, I came home from out of town one day to a different agents sign on their front lawn. I learned a very valuable lesson that day. To not give a **** what my neighbours think.

It's too bad, as the new neighbours are even older than they were. I don't feel guilty at all when I see their grandsons shovelling..

Old 01-19-2018, 04:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,589,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_22 View Post
I had a retired couple next door to me. They would spend the winter in Hawaii and Palm Springs. For years I shovelled their huge driveway for no compensation. In Canada. Just to be a friendly neighbor. They knew I was an agent. After 10 years of this, I came home from out of town one day to a different agents sign on their front lawn. I learned a very valuable lesson that day. To not give a **** what my neighbours think.

It's too bad, as the new neighbours are even older than they were. I don't feel guilty at all when I see their grandsons shovelling..
If you were doing it just to be a friendly neighbor, you wouldn't expect them to choose you as an agent and be PO'd when they didn't.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:44 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
I contacted the county about a house with a semitrailer in the driveway for a loong time. They verified it, sent her a certified letter, which she ignored. Deputy woke her son up early on a Sunday morning to give him the notice. She was furious, at me. A Realtor....disregards certified mail, and doesn't understand views. She got over it. I doubled my money in four years, and bailed.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:57 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
If you were doing it just to be a friendly neighbor, you wouldn't expect them to choose you as an agent and be PO'd when they didn't.
But if someone had gone out of their way to be a good neighbor (and shoveling Canadian snow is "above and beyond") and obviously knew the neighborhood well, it seems bizarre that the couple would not have at least given the neighbor an opportunity to at least compete for the listing. Pick another agent if that's what you want to do, but to not even give him a shot at the listing . . . SMH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals