Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,658,646 times

Advertisements

From reading posts here on C-D, I understand that real estate agents are prohibited from steering, even if the client desires it. The most common examples I've seen here are race and family status. So I have a question about disability -- I have mobility challenges and have need for accessible housing. Is it illegal for me to ask my real estate agent to only show me properties that are handicap/wheelchair accessible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,562,919 times
It would not be illegal at all.
The only thing that would be illegal would be if someone did not want to sell or rent to you because you are handicapped.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,261,642 times
Correct. In fact, most MLSs include accessible features in their descriptions of properties. Your agent can actually search for properties based on these features.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:47 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,570,943 times
I received an email today from my HOA (on one of the properties I have) that a sex offender has moved in this gated community and they send emails to all home owners. This offender is a renter and the owners are investors from California who bought a town home in Florida.
My question is can you refuse to rent a town home to a sex offender under the fair housing act? I have on my application the questions: "ever been arrested and if yes for what"? A little other wording but this is short for what has to be filled out.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:19 PM

The Fair Housing Act only covers the nine protected classes of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, familial status, age and marital status. There may be other laws governing discrimination against ex-convicts and ex-felons.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:41 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,129,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I received an email today from my HOA (on one of the properties I have) that a sex offender has moved in this gated community and they send emails to all home owners. This offender is a renter and the owners are investors from California who bought a town home in Florida.
My question is can you refuse to rent a town home to a sex offender under the fair housing act? I have on my application the questions: "ever been arrested and if yes for what"? A little other wording but this is short for what has to be filled out.

You can check not only the credit of a potential renter but also a criminal background check at this site:

Tenant Screening Services | Credit Check | Criminal Background Check

It also identifies sex offenders. Felony convictions can prevent someone from renting.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,491,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
From reading posts here on C-D, I understand that real estate agents are prohibited from steering, even if the client desires it. The most common examples I've seen here are race and family status. So I have a question about disability -- I have mobility challenges and have need for accessible housing. Is it illegal for me to ask my real estate agent to only show me properties that are handicap/wheelchair accessible?

A Realtor cannot assume what's best for a buyer.

As a buyer, you can specify exactly what you want.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
You can check not only the credit of a potential renter but also a criminal background check at this site:

Tenant Screening Services | Credit Check | Criminal Background Check

It also identifies sex offenders. Felony convictions can prevent someone from renting.
Can a landlord be held liable for allowing an ex-felon to lease a property?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,570,943 times
I know the president of the HOA in the community is sending emails about this sex offenders to all home owners who had signed up to receive emails through the community website. In that email he stated that the community lawyer is taking action to have the tenant removed from this community. If he succeed or what is going to happen, I have no clue, but will ask when I see the president of this community.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:53 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,129,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Can a landlord be held liable for allowing an ex-felon to lease a property?

These days anyone can be liable for anything it seems. I guess it would depend on the circumstances and whether they do something to bring harm to another resident. Checking the criminal background just adds some protection. For registered sex offenders, that is public knowledge and can be found on your state police's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals