Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:12 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
I think you are underestimating the bad location. Looking at Google Maps, its not in a very appealing spot, not to mention no garage. I know you think you are properly priced, but you arent buying the house. You dropped the price 6 days after listing, and then another drop 7 days later. I would have to think some early feedback caused that?
I agree.

The siding is a big turnoff for me, but the location is a problem. In a transitional neighborhood, you're going to need to attract urban pioneers, and to do that you either have to have stuff nearby that people want to live near (good schools, entertainment) or you have to price well below what typical market value would be to entice buyers who want a chance to invest.

There's a reason "location, location and location" are the three most important factors in real estate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:11 PM

19 posts, read 21,305 times
If your agent used a professional photographer, then find a new one.
But, you say you've received many showings, so there is interest in the home until the potential buyer gets there, then something is talking them out of making an offer. Is it the neighborhood? Is there something that is not showing up in the pictures, then when seen it is so disappointing that it disqualifies the house? Does the house have a typical yard for the area/price? I didn't see any pictures of a back yard, but from one picture it looked like you have a large, paved parking lot next to you. Is the house adjacent to apartments or town homes?
I've shown many homes that look wonderful on paper, but the seller and listing agent agreed to leave out something because it was considered a negative. So when I get there with my client they see that issue and say, "NOPE, who knows what else they aren't telling us, I don't trust them now."
Best of luck!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:24 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
I read that post as they hadnt gotten many showings. I wonder if people drive by it and dont even bother stopping. Its easier to see it on Google Maps.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:02 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Photos:
I would ditch the first photo because all I can't take my eyes off the awful patch on the roof next door.
Impression: Crummy neighborhood.

I get no sense of floor plan from the photos.
Too many closeups of fixtures, and little reference points that lead me through the floor plan.
The upstairs room seems very cramped, and leads me to believe that access, stairs to it, may well be narrow.
Can you offer shoppers a floor plan sketch?

Reshoot photos from the eye level of a 5'6" tall person. Better perspective.
Reshoot on a sunny day.
Reshoot with a wider perspective, rather than right on top of things. Step back to just barely in the rooms to show the whole space and open it up.

But: Photos won't sell an overpriced house that is over-improved for the neighborhood.
Have you priced yourself out of the market due to cost of many lovely updates?

This is everything I thought. Especially the neighbor's roof. If I was unfamiliar with the neighborhood, that alone may have me eliminating it.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:10 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpaulson View Post
If your agent used a professional photographer, then find a new one.
But, you say you've received many showings, so there is interest in the home until the potential buyer gets there, then something is talking them out of making an offer. Is it the neighborhood? Is there something that is not showing up in the pictures, then when seen it is so disappointing that it disqualifies the house? Does the house have a typical yard for the area/price? I didn't see any pictures of a back yard, but from one picture it looked like you have a large, paved parking lot next to you. Is the house adjacent to apartments or town homes?
I've shown many homes that look wonderful on paper, but the seller and listing agent agreed to leave out something because it was considered a negative. So when I get there with my client they see that issue and say, "NOPE, who knows what else they aren't telling us, I don't trust them now."
Best of luck!
OP says they haven't had many showings.

IMO, that's an indicator buyer's consider it overpriced. So overpriced and on a street where approximately half the homes are dilapidated. That's why it's not getting offers.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:53 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_h731 View Post
With regards to some questions that have been asked, this is a flip. We do not live in the area, but a few hours away. The house does not have a garage but a concrete slab where 2 cars can be parked in the back (hence part of the reason for the lower price)

The house is next to an ally, however, that is common for this area(yet another reason for the lower price)

The neighbor behind the house has cleaned up his yard, the house next door is being flipped and the house next door to that has already been flipped and is up for sale.

With regards to comment about lowering the price, we have and it hasn't done anything. We are currently listed below comps so I am not sure its a pricing issue but it is something we will investigate.

I think the consensus so far, it that it isn't showing well in the pictures and the location is questionable. We are getting new pictures done this weekend and freshening up the landscape(prior to the pictures of course)

Thank you again everyone for all the feedback and I am certainly open to more!
well, perhaps we start a little earlier....

how did you choose to buy a house to flip a couple of hours away?
who was your agent then?
how did you choose your agent now?
who chose/took the photos and with what implement?
how many prior successful flips have you completed (done on budget, sold at/near full original expected price, and actually closed and deposited the proceeds check)?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:09 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisha_h731 View Post
The house is next to an ally
Ally? France, Great Britain?

Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
What a difference a day makes...great new pictures! Doesnt even look like the same house.

Now I can see the stairs they are calling narrow. From the pics, they do look narrow. On the floorplan, the upstairs room with the narrow ceiling is called the master bedroom. I think that will be an issue also.

And on the overhead pics of the neighborhood, you might want to mark which house is yours.

Last edited by carnivalday; 08-29-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 08:48 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
The interior pictures are definitely better...especially of the downstairs.

Outside still looks cheap and unappealing. Highlighting the nice new roof helps (though it does contrast greatly with the mess next door; signifying a not-great part of town)....but the plain yard and facade are still a turnoff. Needs some landscaping and at least some shutters to give it a little curb appeal.

The "master bedroom" with the tiny windows and claustrophobic ceiling is still the most problematic thing IMO though. Not even the wide-angle lens used on that camera can hide how cramped that room is. The stairs up to it would be the least of my worries.

I'll fully admit to not being at all familiar with the Indianapolis RE market. But some online research shows the average sales price in that market is just over $150k. I have a haaaaard time believing that this house is worth 70% "above average" for the market. Obviously things vary by town and neighborhood.....but the neighborhood isn't looking too hot from the listing pictures and google street view.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 08-29-2018 at 08:59 AM..

Old 08-29-2018, 09:00 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
The exterior shows 2 blank windows with rather pathetic tiny bushes for landscaping. Zero curb appeal.

Inside is very nice. Upstairs is obviously a refinished attic.

Other issues are a tiny lot and proximity to neighbors- neither of which you can do anything about. No garage.

So, I'd do a lot of open houses to get people in to see the interior and price it right- you know more than we do about prices in your market. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals