Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 10:58 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Also, an assist for me was (and still is) Zillow Premier Agent. Oftentimes, Zillow doesn't understand the dynamics of local, local real estate, and they do not price out their zip codes accordingly. They sell on the zip code level, which, can be overarching into more lucrative areas, even though the majority of the zip code is in a lower price per square foot, for the most part, but a small portion of the zip code tickles an affluent area. This is probably more the case in the Southwestern United States (where I am) than other areas of the country, where zip codes are more compact due to population density. I am by no means a paid advertiser, just telling you my experience. It's paid itself over for me by about 7-8 years. I've paid for it since February 2020, and last year it was the procuring cause for about 18% of my revenue. I do not have a big SOI either, as I am not from the area I work in (didn't go to high school).

Also, join a larger brokerage, and see if floor time is offered. That means you are realtor on duty, in house, and you can receive leads this way. That's about another 10% of my business last year. Also, make sure if you are in a larger brokerage, to have a visible bio on their website, and make sure it's excellent. Tell your story. Mentioning where I am originally from (New Jersey) has also netted me business from those who relocate. Keep an eye on your local C-D forum here and see who's kicking tires. Scramble, be good at listening. That's huge. Let the client say two words for every word you are saying. F-O-R-D. Family, occupation, relationships, dreams. This is how you break down the client, in that order.

Circle of Control. That's also huge. This video is huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeEoqyepk0
Why would you feed the beast? Big Z is looking not for a piece of the pie but to devour the whole thing. They want to put you and all of us out of business so don't be short sighted and pay them for leads that might result in some business "now." Instead, learn to lead generate yourself and find clients for a fraction of the cost of advertising with Big Z.

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. As Gary Keller has said in the past, you can either be an agent enabled by tech or you can be an agent who enables tech. It's up to you. In one scenario, you're in the driver's seat. In the other, you're putting tech in the driver's seat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2023, 05:20 PM

1,207 posts, read 535,394 times
I have concluded that success in real estate is tied directly to the number and quality of your contacts. The more contacts you have, the better (obvious, but it's way more significant than people would think).

Also: Extraverts fare better as agents - if you like to get out there and mingle, you should do well.

A year's income in reserve seems like more than enough to get started - although initial fees might shock you.

Old 04-17-2023, 07:21 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
I have concluded that success in real estate is tied directly to the number and quality of your contacts. The more contacts you have, the better (obvious, but it's way more significant than people would think).

Also: Extraverts fare better as agents - if you like to get out there and mingle, you should do well.

A year's income in reserve seems like more than enough to get started - although initial fees might shock you.
Meh I think the stereotype of a RE agent (which admittedly, isn't exactly a stretch for a lot of people in this business) aligns with extraverted personalities more than reality.

Being able to "work a room" makes is easier to give the appearance of a highly successful entrepreneur in any field... but interpersonal communication is far more important in RE (and I suspect many other sales/service industries).

I am not the type of guy who "steals the show" in a big group setting or in public speaking situations...far from it. But one-on-one/small group conversations with people, prospective clients or otherwise, I (and many fellow "introverts") show a strong competence, compassion, and work-ethic needed to really be successful in RE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals