Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 10:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

So inspection on our house was Friday
About 3.5 hrs
He claims my husband’s #7 sprinkler station does not work
There is NO #7 sprinkler station even if there are 7 numbers on the dial
The section he said was not working is on #5 and it works
He missed two light bulbs that were out and a light switch that should work lights on patio fans and does not

There are gaps between exterior wood pieces of porch and our rough surfaced rock detail that were never caulked by builder (nor first owner or us) he claims are from foundation settling...

The drywall tape that has dried out and started cracking he puts down to foundation shifting
Even though he is not a structural engineer
He complained because there were no exterior plantings around the foundation line
Yet our realtor told us not to replant our dead bushes after brutal winter freeze because they were closer than 10 inches to house (were 10-15 yrs old so mature)

We thought it was mainly justifying his fee
He failed to note our Firplace has no operational chimney because it is really a gas fired heater
Yet he recommended getting the flue cleaned yearly

He said the filter in the cooktop fan was dirty when I specifically removed it, cleaned the filter in dishwasher and washed the exterior framework... it was not dirty...but I guess that is a common go to flag because many people don’t clean those filters
We were not impressed...

How often do RE professionals dealing with either side of the process see incompetent home inspectors?

PS he also missed the broken cold water handle under the sink in the hall half bath...
Cant shut off the cold water under the sink...
We only found it out when my husband was trying to replace the drain closer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 11:11 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
I assume the light switch and broken water handle were items that you disclosed?

Old 05-09-2021, 11:29 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How often do RE professionals dealing with either side of the process see incompetent home inspectors?
Some are better than others for sure.

Usually in cases like settling issues... inspectors will write language that the issue *could* be because of settling and buyer should inquire or have it looked at by an engineer or other professional.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I assume the light switch and broken water handle were items that you disclosed?
Fair question and no
Forgot about the switch because we never use that door or switch that does control patio fans
And didnt know about broken cold water til day before inspection when my husband was fixing the drain closer
So our report had already gone in

The broken seals in dining room half windows should have been fixed
My husband just didnt ask for them
The broken seal in master bedroom was smear on window
We wiped it off just now
Maybe upstairs bedroom needs new glass
I dont go up there bcuz of my knees

Some if the issues are valid
But we had coolant leak in upstairs init and had it replaced day b4 inspection
Cant believe his testing of AC was valid

Old 05-09-2021, 01:41 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
The important question is what is the buyer going to do about the inspection results? Will he walk? Will he want everything fixed? Will he want a lower price? Will he be willing to come to the house so you can show him the errors in the report as they relate to actual conditions?

The discussion about the errors is probably moot until the buyer makes a demand. Then you can decide what to do.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:15 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
About 3.5 hrs
He missed two light bulbs that were out and a light switch that should work lights on patio fans and does not

There are gaps between exterior wood pieces of porch and our rough surfaced rock detail that were never caulked by builder (nor first owner or us) he claims are from foundation settling...

The drywall tape that has dried out and started cracking he puts down to foundation shifting
He complained because there were no exterior plantings around the foundation line
Yet our realtor told us not to replant our dead bushes after brutal winter freeze because they were closer than 10 inches to house (were 10-15 yrs old so mature)

He failed to note our Firplace has no operational chimney because it is really a gas fired heater

He said the filter in the cooktop fan was dirty when I specifically removed it, cleaned the filter in dishwasher and washed the exterior framework... it was not dirty...but I guess that is a common go to flag because many people don’t clean those filters
We were not impressed...

PS he also missed the broken cold water handle under the sink in the hall half bath...

How about a cut and paste from the report for the items you have issues with so we can see what the Inspector's wording was?

What State is the home in?

Old 05-09-2021, 08:06 PM

Tx
The buye 99007741 rs asked for very little and didn’t cut offer
Want the glass replaced in cloudy windows which we will do

Want the AC systems inspected and serviced
Will do

Want the #7 irrigation station fixed which isn’t broken
Inspector didn’t notice that area was wet even when the 7 station wasn’t running there

Oven fan knocks which has been that way forever maybe...want it repaired

Seal electric/breaker boxes to keep out “rodents”

So will get it taken care of

Old 05-09-2021, 09:17 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,407,462 times
Quote:
About 3.5 hrs

Irrigation system controllers are mostly, if not all, easy to open and check how many zones are actually wired. I would hope he did that and noted 7 zones wired with one not appearing to function when tested. Zones are not typically wired if they were not installed.

If the Inspector only looked at a Zone legend chart then was it correctly annotated?

He missed two light bulbs that were out

Are you sure the Inspector did not test the light location with a voltage sniffer and just decide the bulbs are burned out and not reported it? Burned out bulbs are not required to be reported. Of course that action is beyond required and I would note it in my reports just as a CYA.

and a light switch that should work lights on patio fans and does not

A possible missed item?

Did the Inspector provide a rational for this call?

The Texas mandated Standards of Practice require Inspectors to "render a written opinion as to the performance of the foundation". To do that they are also required to "generally report present and visible indications used to render the opinion of adverse performance". Those actions might sound like the purvey of a "Structural Engineer" but are required of licensed Inspectors by TREC.

"He reported there were no exterior plantings around the foundation line"

It does not matter what your Agent directed, the Inspector is required to report on adverse conditions that can affect the foundation performance. A lack of ground cover around a foundation can contribute to erosion of soils and is a reportable item.

A common misconception as Inspectors have no need to justify their fee. If the house is stellar it has a short report. If the house is less than average it has a longer report.

Not sure what you have described here unless you are speaking of? You are describing a ventless gas heater and not a decorative fireplace?

A dirty filter is a subjective call.

We were not impressed...

Unfortunately we have plenty out there but we also have good Inspectors as well. The State requirements to obtain a license are very lax and yet plenty have to take the simple test 2 and 3 times before passing.

Was it physically damaged or just would not operate to turn water on/off?

It does help to see the actual report wording for items in the report you may not agree with. Also since we were not there to see and/or inspect the house other items are subjective as well.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:35 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
Quote:

So will get it taken care of

Good. No real harm. Get it done and get it sold.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:03 AM

Just venting I guess
Lot of stress from another family issue right now

Thanks for all the time you took to respond
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals