Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 12:54 AM

808 posts, read 540,532 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at selling my condo, and using the equity to pay cash for a modest co-op in the lower-cost town where my daughter lives. I've found a nice unit in a 55+ community that i like.

She wants to give me the money to buy a significantly better condo, and be on the deed. As my sole heir, she will get everything, so she considers it an investment, and is able and willing to do it.

Part of her logic is that she would have a more difficult time selling a coop in a 55+ community, since she would not be able to live there, she would have to sell it, and also that co-ops don't sell as well as condos.

There are some other important considerations we would have to talk over. I'm not in a big hurry - but this one point was the first thing she brought up, and I was wondering if it was true.

If these modest co-op units were condos and not in a 55+ community, would that, by itself, make a difference in the selling price?

These units move pretty fast. Last year, when I was starting to look at places in her town, they were moving in a matter or days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 08:52 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
Quote:
She wants to give me the money to buy a significantly better condo, and be on the deed.
There are a number of reasons for that not being a good idea for her or for you.

https://www.atlaslawoffice.com/5-rea...-on-your-deed/

If you are buying in WA state you can serve the same purpose with a real property transfer on death deed without the risks.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.a...4.80&full=true

As for any other considerations, pick what pleases you and forget about how and how much it would sell for when you are dead.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:14 AM

5,976 posts, read 3,715,754 times
AdjusterJack gave you good advice. Personally, I don't think that "co-ops" would be my thing. I would favor a condo where I have a deed to the property. Just check out the financial situation of the condo association before buying there. You want to make sure that it is being well run/managed and that they have adequate reserves and don't have to assess the unit owners every time that something needs to be done.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:44 PM

808 posts, read 540,532 times
Thumbs up Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
If you are buying in WA state you can serve the same purpose with a real property transfer on death deed without the risks.
https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.a...4.80&full=true.
Very useful - I had not heard of this.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2023, 07:14 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
Depends a great deal on exactly what OP wants.

If she prefers to live in a 55+ and can afford it that's what she should do.

If daughter wants to own real estate that might appreciate she should buy her own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals