Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times

Advertisements

One thing I think is very important to know is that it is an EXPENSIVE job. Realtor dues, Tech fees, desk fees if you have them, advertising, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
You might find a company that does not charge desk fees, they usually let you keep a higher amount of the commssion..

Our company starts agents out at a 50 /50 split in the commssion but the other expenses are extremely low. This helps new agents get started.

Also, find one that offers great training & support. You may not have the experience but you can get the smarts.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
I would look at NAR's top 30 under 30 and see what they did to be successful. They put it out every year.

I know I personally would not buy a home from a 20 year old (I'm a gen Xer). Just being honest here. I was a semi-moron at 20 and knew nothing about anything, but I thought I did.

I would market yourself to other younger folks until you can get some transactions under your belt. It will also help if you own your own property, condo, home, whatever. You will have some serious credibility problems if you haven't gone through the process yourself.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikiJayne View Post
One thing I think is very important to know is that it is an EXPENSIVE job. Realtor dues, Tech fees, desk fees if you have them, advertising, etc.
I'd suggest having 6 months living saved up prior to making the leap full time.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:13 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I would look at NAR's top 30 under 30 and see what they did to be successful. They put it out every year.

I know I personally would not buy a home from a 20 year old (I'm a gen Xer). Just being honest here. I was a semi-moron at 20 and knew nothing about anything, but I thought I did.

I would market yourself to other younger folks until you can get some transactions under your belt. It will also help if you own your own property, condo, home, whatever. You will have some serious credibility problems if you haven't gone through the process yourself.
There will be some people that you'll need to show top notch skills to for the very reason above but don't let age hold you back. When I was 29 I was #5 for customer service of over 25,000 ERA agents. I hope to be there again this year. I'm 30 now and one the top agents in my market because I'm hard working, have good people skills, and utilize technology. At your age you'll have a grasp on technology that many older agents don't. My buyers agent is 23 and he constantly gets rave reviews from clients of all sorts. Before him I had one that in her 40's that didn't work out so well. If learn to handle the age objection, you'll do fine.

Interestingly enough, when I started at age 27 (young looking 27) I got that question a lot. As my presentation skills and knowledge improved that went away. I probably haven't had anyone question my age since my first 6 months.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
There will be some people that you'll need to show top notch skills to for the very reason above but don't let age hold you back. When I was 29 I was #5 for customer service of over 25,000 ERA agents. I hope to be there again this year. I'm 30 now and one the top agents in my market because I'm hard working, have good people skills, and utilize technology. At your age you'll have a grasp on technology that many older agents don't. My buyers agent is 23 and he constantly gets rave reviews from clients of all sorts. Before him I had one that in her 40's that didn't work out so well. If learn to handle the age objection, you'll do fine.

Interestingly enough, when I started at age 27 (young looking 27) I got that question a lot. As my presentation skills and knowledge improved that went away. I probably haven't had anyone question my age since my first 6 months.
So, how did you get your first client? How did you field those questions about inexperience and such?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
So, how did you get your first client? How did you field those questions about inexperience and such?
I explained m training and added up how many years of experience ar ein my office. Then I said that even though I don't have it personally, I have 30 years worth of experience in people I can turn to for help. Then I explained about how well we all work together as a team in my office.

My first client was a walk-in while I was on floor, but it also happened he lived in my neighborhood (see my preious post about farming my neighborhood).

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
The 2 most popular ways are open houses & phone duty, but get creative beyond that to be truly successful.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

I think the issue, and the reference to my semi-moron comment, was that most people don't really become "adults" until their mid-twenties. I remember reading some study that like 26 was the age of maturity for adulthood.

I conceed that there are crappy agents aged 30,40, 50 etc so age isn't an indicator of anything. I believe there is a BIG difference between a 20 year old and a 27 year old. A lot of maturity occurs during that time.

I don't care how good you were, I personally would not let a 20 year old assist me with the purchase of a $400,000 investment. Now if that 20 year old had 5 investment properties and could TALK real estate, then maybe...

20 is really young. Just know that you have an uphill battle ahead of you, so plan accordingly.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Default Oh Lordy....

My daughter turns 20 this week. I cannot imagine her, at this stage of her maturity, helping anyone buy property.

And again, some states, like mine, will not allow someone under 21 to take the required courses, let alone sit for the exam. I don't know the deal in Az.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals