Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 48,962 times

Advertisements

I'm a relatively new agent (a little over a year). I've worked with all buyers so far, except for 1 listing.

In my office, it seems like the listings all go to the agents who have been in the business 20+ years and have tons of referrals, or those guys who discount their rates to FSBOs.

Does anyone have any advice for a new agent struggling to feed her two young children?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:37 PM

15,581 posts, read 40,450,935 times
1) Don't tell people you are struggling to feed your two children. People want to work with successful people which is why the agents who have been in the business a long time are doing well.

2) Set your expectations. It takes 3-5 years to get a good base business going that can feed on itself (ie getting some referrals). Before that...you are working your behind off. You need to get your name out there.

3) Do you have a particular interest in a type of home (ie Historic Homes, small acreage, horse properties, etc). Decide where your passion is, and create a niche there.

4) Consider starting a blog. You can do one on WordPress and Blogger for free. Head to www.activerain.com for ideas, and you can blog with them as well.

5) What makes you the better choice over someone else? If you don't know, then you can't sell yourself. Be clear, you are selling your expertise and knowledge as a real estate agent. Know what you bring to the party and emphasize that. I mean if you grew up in the area that is a plus over a transplant. You have that "inside" information on areas.

Real estate has MASSIVE competition and is not for the weary. Knock on doors, send out postcards, blog, and most important...BE A GOOD AGENT. Unless you want to spend the next 20 years knocking on doors, then you need to get referrals. People will only refer people they think are good.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

What makes you the better choice over someone else? If you don't know, then you can't sell yourself.

It really is this simple, isn't it.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawMill View Post
I'm a relatively new agent (a little over a year). I've worked with all buyers so far, except for 1 listing.

In my office, it seems like the listings all go to the agents who have been in the business 20+ years and have tons of referrals, or those guys who discount their rates to FSBOs.

Does anyone have any advice for a new agent struggling to feed her two young children?????
Training, scripts, and a marketing plan are essentials but....

The most important thing is to meet more people. Go to your BIC and ask for help. If they aren't there for you, go find a company that offers better training and classes. The Realogy companies probably are the top dogs (C21/CB/ERA/Sotheby's) and I've heard Keller Williams is good but the local KW is fairly new.

To be in the business a year and only have 1 listing isn't very good. Are you doing the right things, are you full time, have you had any training. Quite frankly, if you answered no to any of those you need to fix that or re-evaluate if real estate is for you since it's been a year.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:23 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Most new agents have to start by working with buyers and over the years the buyers become sellers. Eventually you'll build your business where it's at least 50% or more sellers but It has taken me at least 5 years to reach that level.

Every happy buyer you get into a home should result in 2-3 more sales down the road.

Have you checked out the Brian Buffini program ? It's worth the effort.

One note on those discounters .... in todays market it's a whole lot a easier for me to say no to discounting fees. It takes a lot of work and additional expenses today to get homes sold in many not so good markets.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:36 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,569 times
I haven't heard anyone mention the thing that was really effective for me when I first started. I picked one neighborhood and made it my farm area. I walked the neighborhod putting out fliers, knocking on doors, etc. I mailed postcards to them, send Christmas cards and 4th of july greetings. I previewed EVERY listing in the neighborhood, tracked listings, sales, and expireds (then went after expireds). Every transaction I did get, in that neighborhood or not, I made sure to let them know about it.

Once I had thoroughly gotten to know the neighborhood through previews, research and a few of my own listings in there, I started calling myself the "Neighborhood Real Estate Expert" but ONLY after I felt I could support that claim.

One other thing I did that they liked is that I checked everyone's tax records and let them know if they didn't have their exemptions filed. It took a long time, but anyone who didn't have them mfiled had a knock on their door and I got to meet a lot of people that way. A lot of them were awfully glad to see me because I was there to save them money!

Next year I am planning to start a kid's parade for either the 4th of July or Halloween. I'm not sure which I will do yet, or if I'll do both.

By the way, I have gotten a LOT of listings & sales in this neighborhood. At this point, they call me, saying they want me to list their house.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Anytime I had a buyer who closed on a home not listed by me in my market area I'd ask his permission to put my sign with a big "Sold" in their yard for 2 weeks. It helped get my name out there even as a buyers agent.

After all I did "Sell" the house.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times
I haven't done this but a guy in my office just cold called people out of the phone book and it worked. He has also gone after FSBO's. He is only 1.5 years an agent and has the most listings in my office. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2008, 06:09 PM

I love what I do & would never change but knowing how hard it is to get established in the business I might have gone a different route.

Quote:
If you are the sole income, real estate may not be your thing. You may need a weekly check with benefits. Can you go to work for an established agent ?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:27 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,972 times
I have been in the business about 1 year, although I marketed commercial for a year prior to working f/t as an agent - its about getting your name out there - but i am always surprised why so many agents want listings over buyers? I had an experienced agent (and successful) tell me once, listings are great, you put a sign on the front lawn and wait for the calls - ummmm not me - however I prefer to work with buyers, normally I know they are going to buy..........sellers are sometimes too emotional about their home to see things clearly............ just my two cents - if you are doing business with buyers good for you.

go sing up at active rain and also do start blogging.....not too many in my area do, but I do, b/c that is what people like to see, I dont really like it, its just the way it is....

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals