Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:21 PM

413 posts, read 1,590,721 times

Advertisements

OK RE pros, could you answer this one ? Why is the price of the property NEVER, EVER posted on the sign in front of the property. I know that as a buyer, if I saw the price outside the property I could make a very quick judgement as to weather I wanted to know more or not. I have seen flyers posted in a box but I usually drive past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,917,018 times
How would you suggest doing this? The signs are held in the sign company's inventory until needed at a certain property. You can't just paint new prices on the signs each time an agent gets a listing! The flyer boxes are there to provide the info you're looking for plus more...

Old 11-21-2008, 06:37 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,463,330 times
We've started, in our office, having a number you can text to get basic information on the property, for those who don't want to stop and get a flyer with photos of the inside, etc.

As for posting the price in the front of the property, the signs are, as said, re-used for different listings, plus the price can change over the period of the listing (up or down).

Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,059,579 times
Well you usually know the neighborhood's general price range, so I don't think it's totally necessary to have the price painted on. If you don't want to get out, I usually just make a mental note of the street (or jot it down on paper if I can) and look it up online when I get home.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:52 PM

I've heard reasons why agents do the things they do but I haven't heard anything as to a reason why not. What harm would it do ?. The prototypical method hasn't worked very well in this environent so why not try something new ? I'm sure that one could find a way to put numbers on a sign that could be changed if need be without painting. One doesn't go into a store and have to find someone to tell you what the price is. (Most of the time !!). It's right there in B/W to compare with other products. My guess is that the agents want the phone call.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,158,977 times
If you can't be bothered to stop and pick up the flyer, you're not a serious buyer.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
If you can't be bothered to stop and pick up the flyer, you're not a serious buyer.
This is exactly the attitude that gets agents into trouble in this market: Refusal to think outside the box. How the heck do you know if I'm a serous buyer ? Are you willing to take that chance ? Maybe I can't stop and pick up a flyer because the property is on a no-stopping street or I have a big truck that's gonna run up my tailpipe if I stop.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:02 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,331,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Since we're not advertising something to the general public like: Oil Change - $19.99, it really doesn't make much sense. I really don't think the seller wants everybody that drives by his home to know it's listed for $399,900 - just the buyers looking to purchase a home like his . . . and those would be the ones interested enough to stop and take a flyer.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Since we're not advertising something to the general public like: Oil Change - $19.99, it really doesn't make much sense. I really don't think the seller wants everybody that drives by his home to know it's listed for $399,900 - just the buyers looking to purchase a home like his . . . and those would be the ones interested enough to stop and take a flyer.
But you ARE advertising something to the general public. IN THIS MARKET, I would think that the seller would want EVERYONE to know what the price is.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:06 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,169,564 times
I've also often wondered about this. So if I accept the explanation that the signs are more or less generic and need to be re-used, why aren't the prices at least included in the newspaper listing? Unlike buying clothing, or even a car, the house is either in your price range or it's not. Why waste everyone's time making the prospective buyer have to call someone for basic information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals