Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 AM

125 posts, read 738,956 times

Advertisements

I am a home seller; selling through a company in Ohio called NEXTHOME. I pay a flat fee, they market the home through the MLS and do the closing paperwork. I do the showings, or let another realtor use the lockbox to view the home. I hold the Open Houses.

Here is my question. I know that other full service real estate companies hold a "realtors" open house. How can I go about doing that, and would anyone show up? I thought about putting together an invitation/flyer and having it on a Tuesday and can get it to the real estate companies, but will they come? A buyers agent will receive 4% (not the usual 6%) if my house sells through an agent other than Nexthome.

Thanks for your advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
I understand you are feeling that you need to do something. Buy Broker opens waste your money and their time. If the house is on the MLS, and properly marketed, a broker open will not get a buyer.

It's hard to sell the Cadillac in a neighborhood full of Chevy's.

What can you do to offer the buyer the best value in the neighborhood?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:12 AM

627 posts, read 2,850,823 times
I was an agent in the NEO area for several years (just sent my license back in March, because I moved to FL too)... A "Broker's Open" is basically done to invite all local RE Agents into a New Listing. These Opens are usually hosted with a full Lunch or something like a Wine and Cheese table, Brochures or even CDs with a Home Tour burned that the Agents can take with them.

I have had friends that had no luck with NextHome, but they listed their homes too high... I even helped with providing Open House signs, custom Flyers and so on.

Do you have a Visual or Virtual Home tour??

Good Luck! I sold my house in NEO in less than 6 weeks in the slow, weak, NEO market. I know you can too!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 07:03 PM

79 posts, read 210,299 times
12paws
Don't waste your time with Open Houses, you will just get nosy neighbors. By selling yourself, you will not be able to get into many of the local listing mags. Agents are looking to sell their own inventory over FSBO's. I'll tell you right now, if you house is not priced right, it will not sell. And many buyers are going to present offers that are low. But if you must sell, give yourself 30 to 60 days on your own. Stage the House, put together a Virtual Tour, and do not put your nose up on the first offer, it could be your best. I am a Realtor in Lake and Marion, I just took my house off the market because of the poor turn out by buyers. Hoped I helped, let me know if you sell.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM

739 posts, read 831,340 times
12paws,

In Atlanta, they have agent caravans on Tuesday, serve a bunch of food (hence the name Fat Tuesday), and the agents who don't have anything to do spend their day socializing. We sell high end (avg. $2-3 million) new homes. We get plenty of people who want to come in a look around. But have any of them ever brought us a buyer? Nope.

There are only 3 reasons a house doesn't sell; marketing, condition and price.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:35 AM

28 posts, read 123,543 times
12paws, I don't know if you're really offering a buyer's agent less than the usual co-op fee, but if you are, that could hurt you. It's a business decision for us not to show homes that are being "cheap" with our compensation, why would we do the same work for less money? Would you?

IMO there's way too much focus these days on trying to save a buck (which, BTW, nobody knows the amount of until the home sells anyway). In my view...if someone is that focused on the supposed savings then their priority really isn't *selling* the house.

Once people's priorities flip and they decide to get serious about selling, and they realize all they're getting is lowball offers anyway, 85% end up listing with a real agent. (I can refer someone to you fast if you ever decide to do that [no charge]). These discount companies work great for using people's homes as bait for that company's buyer agents, but do they care if YOUR house sells?

It may work out for you, it may not...either way, best wishes. PS, I am in OH as well.

Last edited by Cartouche; 05-15-2007 at 05:46 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 AM

52 posts, read 176,475 times
Default 4%?

four percent is a great oportunity. I would make flyers and drop them off to the agenciew and emphasize the four percent.
Julia

Old 05-15-2007, 08:39 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
Quote:
I know that other full service real estate companies hold a "realtors" open house. How can I go about doing that, and would anyone show up?
I don't think you can effectively do it, if your goal is to get a parade of other agents to see your home.

Personally, I can't think of a reason that I would attend a standalone Realtor/FSBO Open House. The whole purpose of a property tour is that agents can see multiple homes in a short span of time in a concentrated area.

As I type, a busload of 50+ agents are on the KW property tour, which today includes one of our listings. This is the advantage of listing with a big office that has in-house tours. And yes, the tours do create exposure that sells houses.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 05-15-2007 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals