Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:02 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,980 times

Advertisements

How in the world do you show your home if you work during the day and have 2 dogs that stay indoors? They don't do well in crates-the screaming would scare off any potential homebuyer and I don't have a basement that I can sequester them in! Too hot to force them to stay in the garage. We have a fenced yard but I wouldn't trust them to not try to escape and they are older 10+ yrs. The heat around here has been crazy as well.

Are we relegated to weekend only showings when we can pack up the dogs and kids and leave for 30 mins?

I don't even think my pet sitter could be that precise to wait for a realtor and return the dogs when they are done. It would get quite costly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
1. You only allow showings when you're available to remove the dogs.

2. You find someone locally (friend/family) to come take the pet when you have day showings.

3. You crate them and make sure your agent informs all buyer's agents that the dogs are in crates & they may be loud but are harmless. If you can prepare the buyers for crazy caged mutts, it will be okay. It's usually the shock of crated, barking animals that no one knew about that freaks out agents & buyers.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:11 PM

244 posts, read 747,219 times
You could be relegated to after work and weekend showings. This however may lose you some potential buyers. If you have a pet sitter or a relative in the area. I would try to use them. Are you friends with your neighbors? Are they home all day? I would try to find a way to have your property available as properties that have weekend only showings can dissuade someone from even looking at the property. Usually when showing properties we get 4-6 for an area we will be in for the day. If the buyer sees a property they like they jump on it. Even if your house maybe better. Out of sight out of mind.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:44 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
doggie day care.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
Another option is if your friends or relatives can take care of the dogs while you're away at work, ie. you bring the dogs to them every morning and pick them up when u get back from work. Kinda like what you would do if you send your kids to daycare.

Or just ask someone to care for them while you got the house on the market.

My husband and I have cats that we just ask his parents to care for during the period of our home sale. As a home buyer I know that I would be less inclined to bid on a place if there are signs of dogs or cats. That is, unless the homeowners are extremely clean about it.

Old 06-16-2010, 02:55 PM

812 posts, read 1,906,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
doggie day care.
IF you could plan ahead for showings to know to not have them home! I don't think I can afford 2 full time kids in daycare and 2 dogs in full time daycare! Wish we had a convenient, affordable, nice doggie daycare where I live now.

Last time we sold I was unemployed, pregnant and sitting at home --I would get calls from realtors saying we want to see your house ASAP/we are in the next neighborhood. So it was easy to pack up the dogs and drive away for a bit.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 PM

75 posts, read 170,335 times
Are either of your employers sympathetic enough to let you take a long lunch break and remove the dogs? If not I would get the dogs used to being crated... I would also have your agent make a note on the MLS that 24 hours notice is requested during the week. That way you will at least know in the morning if your home will be shown that day and then crate the dogs.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Everything Heather said..........

Old 06-17-2010, 01:18 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
I would do everything in your power to keep them at a friend/family members house. When i was selling, i'd say the vast majority of the showings were weekday afternoons. Having only night and weekend showings will really hold back buyers. Secondly, pets are a huge turn off to buyers. Many may be allergic, don't like dogs, give off an offensive smell ,..etc many people will just turn around and walk out the door if there is a hint of pets in the house.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Alise,
I got several solutions that may work.

There is a doggie day care in Hickory (that's what you put for your hometown), go online and find Smart Bark doggie daycare, near Old Shelby Road, they will only charge you $15 daily total for both dogs, that's just $75 weekly, not too much!

Another solution, you said you have a garage, if it has a window and electricity in there, you can buy an A/C window unit and put it in there, water, food, their beds. Just do not allow anyone in the garage unless they make an offer or want a second viewing, schedule it for evening or weekend. Years ago, our family had an outdoor dog with a dog-door to get in the garage, we lived near the coast, that's where he slept all the time, and there was no A/C in there, so WITH A/C your dogs will be fine.

Then you can also put them in the bathroom if it's large enough, and post a couple good-sized photos of the bathroom on the door with advisory that two dogs are being kept inside and not to open door, then again if offer or second showing, sched for when you're there.

We made it very hard for people to get in our house for a showing because of our dogs, but sold it in five weeks. They had to call for an appointment, so we could leave with the dogs, but we were always home...but you could have them call you at work, prearrange with your supervisor to be able to leave for a half-hour and go get the dogs and sit in your car down the street until you see the visitors go. And just in case some agent tries to get thru the realtor lock without calling you first, put a sign on your door that tells them dogs inside, call before entering and put your phone number at work.
GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate