Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 AM

19 posts, read 32,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
why? because she didnt get you a gift? You have no idea the things we do for our clients, now that being said if you think its such a cake job, get a license and do it - no brainer right?

I don't even go to closings, so consider yourself lucky.

she didnt make 6k - the brokerage did, just an fyi, so you understand how it works.

No not because she didn't buy a gift the fact that she didn't even say THANK YOU, you know those two little simple words go along way. I may not be an agent but I have many friends who are and if you want referrals to say Thank You doesn't take much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarba View Post
I have bought many homes over my life and every single real estate agent has always bought the gift for the buyer as they make thousands of dollars off the sale of the home. I just recently purchased a home in Texas where the agent made almost 6,000.00 off the house we bought and we didn't even as much as get a Thank you .
Quote:
No not because she didn't buy a gift the fact that she didn't even say THANK YOU, you know those two little simple words go along way..
Methinks that if she would've handed you a gift and NOT said thank you, you wouldn't be complaining.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Methinks that if she would've handed you a gift and NOT said thank you, you wouldn't be complaining.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I am in the customers service industry and the problem lately is customer service is lost in this country. It is not just good manners to Thank someone for their business it is good ethics in Business and if you want something from someone like referrals I would think that would be a good gesture. This post was about gifts and my post was in reference to that so think what you like I know different.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 AM

17,425 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Well you are entitled to your opinion. I am in the customers service industry and the problem lately is customer service is lost in this country. It is not just good manners to Thank someone for their business it is good ethics in Business and if you want something from someone like referrals I would think that would be a good gesture. This post was about gifts and my post was in reference to that so think what you like I know different.
So, do you give gifts to your customers?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
So, do you give gifts to your customers?

I have a different market, but I sure do run promotions and I use my customers to come up with ideas or names for new retails that I am opening and of course they are compensated. If it were not for my customers or my employees I would not be in business, my employees are my first and far most valuable asset and my customers are my second.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 PM

173 posts, read 155,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold ethyl View Post
I am just about to close on my new house, and I was wondering if it's customary to give your agent a gift once the deal is done. I've read that people sometimes do it, but what kind of gift is appropriate? Is it expected? She has been very good, and I would definitely recommend her to anyone. If it is customary, I would definitely do it. Just not sure what the protocol is. Any info or knowledge would be appreciated.
A bottle of Champagne usually goes down well. I mean the real stuff and from a good house - Krug, Moet, Bollinger etc.

Google will be your guide

Old 07-08-2010, 06:15 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
I have bought many homes over my life and every single real estate agent has always bought the gift for the buyer as they make thousands of dollars off the sale of the home. I just recently purchased a home in Texas where the agent made almost 6,000.00 off the house we bought and we didn't even as much as get a Thank you and the other weird ass thing was we drove her to the closing. I don't know if it is the state or what but I think it was rude and I will tell you she will not get any recommendations from us.
I don't think a gift is required. However, to not follow up following the sale with a thank you card or follow-up phone call to see how you are doing in your new home is thoughtless and not good for repeat business.

If you refuse to give referals because of the failure for the agent to send a thank you card that is probably as shallow as the agent not sending one. Agents should receive referrals for the services rendered during the buy/sell process and not for something they failed to do outside of that process.

In my last couple of years in the business my broker was actively discouraging the giving of gifts by agents due to laws addressing enticements.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 AM

1 posts, read 656 times
Default Gift from agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I got a $50 gift card FROM my agent when we closed.
My agent gave me a $100 gift card for new locks. He is terrific!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Default Agent gifts

I always gave a gift to my buyers and my sellers ... heck, they are moving too and paid me.

Always tried to gift a thoughtful gift kind of tailored to the house or their lifestyle. Examples of gifts TO buyers and/or sellers:

Favorites are:

A nice welcome mat with their initial on it, place at the door before the closing with flower delivery a week after their move in date. (Lowe's has 'em and you buy them in two parts, one for last initial, one for outside rubber border.)

A few bottles of red/white wine in the refrigerator with a welcome bow and thank you note.

Gift certificate to a playhouse or theatrical event so they can choose their own venue.

Find some local nice quality art about the area, smaller sizes, place on mantle with a big bow and thank you note.

For a single woman: Gift certificate for a day spa, she'll need it after move in!

For a single man: Gift certificate tailored to his hobby, golf, boating, hunting, fishing etc.

And...... if possible, before the closing, give the buyer a phone book! I can't tell you how many kudos I got for that one, and they're free. If you can't do a personal visit a few weeks after they move in, definitely give a call and ask if there is anything else you can do.

A little effort will pay rewards in referrals and repeat clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate