Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM

74 posts, read 255,688 times

Advertisements

My home has been on the market for 7 months in Ohio. Today, a friend of mine came through my home and fell in love with it. Problem is, she isn't in a position to buy the home outright, but would have no problem renting the home for what we would need. We discussed the issue and decided that we would be willing to rent our home to her.

Question, although I'm sure there is no black and white answer: will we be responsible for paying commission? We've not signed any paperwork regarding rentals, as we never intended to rent our home. Agent's boss is throwing around numbers of 1 or 2 months rent...again, we have no paperwork or documentation on this. We are in the state of Ohio, if that helps any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
ask where in the contract this is stated.

If there is no written agreement prior, then no money is owed.

You might offer to throw them a bone.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
In the standard Texas contract, it states that during the listing agreement, the seller will NOT rent the home to someone. In order to rent the home to someone, you have to get your agent's permission. With that, they usually allow is, but the "typical" fee for a rental is 1 month's rent, though negotiable.

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 06-22-2010 at 09:59 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In the standard Texas contract, it states that during the listing agreement, the seller will NOT rent the home to someone. In order to rent the home to someone, you have to get your agent's permission. With that, they usually allow is, but the "typical" fee for a rental is 1 month's rent, though negotiable.
Does it specify damages if they do rent it?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:38 AM

61 posts, read 174,288 times
It's hard to believe that you must ask such a question here. Both you and the broker must comply with the listing contract, whatever it says or doesn't say. BTW, every listing contract that I've seen specifically addresses your issue, and yes, commissions are typically due and payable.

The contract rules.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:11 PM

74 posts, read 255,688 times
I do realize the contract rules, but our contract did not address this issue. We are listed with Sibcy Cline in Ohio and our contract said nothing regarding renting our home. We've since settled the issue, home is rented, and we were not obligated to pay commission. We will, however, do something very nice for our agent who was wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate