Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM

704 posts, read 2,069,001 times

Advertisements

My buyer's termite inspector found no termites.

1. the crawl space door is rotten at the bottom and must be replaced. It is rotten because there is a low spot there and the puddle of water has rotted it over the years. Oh well, a 2x4 and some 1/4 plywood.

2. moisture readings un-satisfactory around the front porch and the crawl space entrance. My real estate agent thinks his meter may be off and will see what moisture readings the regular inspector found.

3. under the gutter somewhere is a stretch of rotten trim to replace.

4. worst case, vaporizing under the house is needed. Plastic put under the house everywhere. I'm thinking , oh no that has to be expensive.

My agent said parts and labor are $200-$225.

I'm thinking, I would not go under there and staple or attatch 1500 square feet of plastic on my back and hands and knees and spiders and other for any $200.

Are there any other issues the termite inspector can find beside termites, and what he found above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 04:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
I don't believe I'd let them treat for termites unless there was proof or signs of termites.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 PM

167 posts, read 496,106 times
I'm going to have a termite inspection tomorrow. I didn't know that termite inspector actually inspected other things in the house other than termites or other wood-destroying insects.

Is it common practice for a termite inspector to inspect moisture? What else actually occurs during termite inspection?

Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,195,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need_more_light View Post
I'm going to have a termite inspection tomorrow. I didn't know that termite inspector actually inspected other things in the house other than termites or other wood-destroying insects.

Is it common practice for a termite inspector to inspect moisture? What else actually occurs during termite inspection?
They also check for condusive conditions for termites Like if the landscaping and mulch is covering up the slab. The regular inspector checks for water issues and wood rot, among a lot of other things.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Out here we call those pest AND dry rot inspections. You don't vaporize under a house. You add a vapor barrier which is also called visqueen. It is a black barrier that breathes unlike plastic. $200-$300 sounds about right to have someone crawl under the house and install it. It isn't rocket science to install it and with contractors hurting for business you'd get a competitive rate.

All of those sound like totally normal things to me. Nothing scary or expensive to repair.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
CL100 inspections are looking for wood destroying pests, water damage, and moisture problems. The company can give you estimates so you know what you're looking at in most instances and you can shop it. The only thing I don't understand is why your agent thinks the moisture meter would be broken?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need_more_light View Post

I'm not a pro but I'll tell you what my buyer's termite inspector found:

1. He looked for termites and found none.

2. He checked moisture levels from the crawl space all the way to the front porch area.

3. He noted a rotten piece of wood in the crawl space door and that has to be replaced. That was caused due to a slight depression in the ground and water puddles there after a rain and 28 years of that = rotton wood.

4. He located a piece of trimming around the house somewhere that is rotten. I think it is under the gutter somewhere.

My agents says as the seller I can be obligated to fix all that, if the buyer insist. However, some of the repairs are up to the contractor hired to do the work, and not the inspectors. My agent knows a contractor that can do my plumbing leak as well as the rotten wood repairs. She has a guy licensed in plumbing, electrical, etc. so he can do all repairs vs. different contractors. She calls them contractors. They are licensed professionals, like a licensed plumber. I have been given permission to change 7 outlets from regular to GFCI. But, on the plumbing leak which appears to be a bad toilet bowl wax ring, a license plumber is required for that.
And on two missing pieces of shingle a licensed roofer is required, but they let me do the electrical.

Thanks for you comments, and question and I gave you my experience and hopefully we chat again in other threads.

Last edited by naeem5; 07-07-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
CL100 inspections are looking for wood destroying pests, water damage, and moisture problems. The company can give you estimates so you know what you're looking at in most instances and you can shop it. The only thing I don't understand is why your agent thinks the moisture meter would be broken?
I think she has had previous issues with this termite inspector coming in high with his numbers. She knows him by his first name.

He found moisture readings of 22-25 on July 6th.
The inspector on June 30th, who entered the crawl space to locate a leak from above, had checked for moisture under there, and his readings were 8-15.

If one of them says the 25 is more reflective of actual moisture and the other says no, it is 8, then that is a wide range.
I don't know the meter range, so I am ignorant on that.
But, if the guage goes from 0-1000, the their differences are minimal.
If it goes from 0 to 50, then the difference in their findings are more important.
I just don't know the scale on the meter.

You or anyone know?

Is 25 or 30 or 35 the highest reading?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
A whole week had gone by. A plumbing leak shouldn't make that sort of difference in the moisture content. What would is if it had rained recently.

Also, don't assume she knows him because she referred to him by name. Assuming can be a very expensive mistake. Ask point blank and make sure. Let the inspectors consult with each other and figure it out if it's a problem.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
A whole week had gone by. A plumbing leak shouldn't make that sort of difference in the moisture content. What would is if it had rained recently.

Also, don't assume she knows him because she referred to him by name. Assuming can be a very expensive mistake. Ask point blank and make sure. Let the inspectors consult with each other and figure it out if it's a problem.
We've had no rain.

My agent has seen reports from this specific termite guy before, and she said he has been "high" "er" than the home inspector alot.
There should be some way to check the accuracy of the meter.

One guy getting 8-15 and the other getting 22-25.
Not sure what scale that is on...zero to ??

The appraisal is July 8th 3-5pm, so after that, the dust will settle and we can see what is what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate