Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:42 AM

214 posts, read 1,980,986 times

Advertisements

We purchased our home 2 1/2 years ago in Georgia and had the trench dug around the house and had the chemicals put in the ground for termites even though we had a clean termite letter. We did not get the yearly inspection after that.

We recently sold our home and the buyers had a termite inspection and it came back saying we had active infestation of subterrean (sp?) termites.

We believe that they were just found outside in the flowerbeds and around the tree in the front but we don't know for sure since the letter that we received from our realtor did not say where they were found.

Now the buyers are asking for us to get a clean termite letter before 10 days before close. We are wondering if this is possible since we have an active infestation. We close in 19 days. It is Memorial weekend and we cannot get intouch with any pest control places until Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 AM

188 posts, read 662,671 times
Didn't the pest control that did the inspection give an estimate on remediating the problem? This may of course may not be the most cost effective method, as they have every motivation to make money - if it's a lot of cash, you might want a second opinion from another company.
How much did they ask and what was the suggestion? I am surprised the report did not say where they were found. We just had the termite done and we got the report from the termite company at the same time our buyers did.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
Didn't the pest control that did the inspection give an estimate on remediating the problem? This may of course may not be the most cost effective method, as they have every motivation to make money - if it's a lot of cash, you might want a second opinion from another company.
How much did they ask and what was the suggestion? I am surprised the report did not say where they were found. We just had the termite done and we got the report from the termite company at the same time our buyers did.
The only thing we received from our realtor was a document stating that we have active infestation. There was no diagram attached showing where it was found. There was nothing on there that said what it would take to get rid of them. Buyers are asking to have a clean termite letter 10 days before closing. Is this normal? Could it be that our realtor did not give us all the information? We have a call into him as of yesterday morning and he has not contacted us. We are getting frustrated.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:28 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
Ok, wait. Who paid for the termite inspection? Is this something from the buyer? If so, make sure you have your own termite inspection done before you do anything at all.
I know when I sold my house down in Boca a year and a half after I bought it the termite person from the buyer said I had termites and had to 'tent the house' to the tune of $6K. I said, no, no, no. Got my OWN inspection and the house was clean as a whistle. Called the selling broker and told them, we're going to closing and if your customers want more clarification I suggest you pay for a totally independent company to come in and reinspect with my inspector here. They closed. Had the same thing up in NY, only with 'carpenter ants'. I'd lived on Long Island my whole life and this inspector was trying to tell me I didn't know what kind of ant I was looking at on the OUTSIDE of my house. That buyer closed too.
So. First thing to keep in mind with all this termite stuff... It's a business. A very lucrative business. Do not just take someone's word for it if they are working for someone else. Some of them look at it like this... money for the report, money from the seller for remediation and brownie points from the buyer who will recommend me because I 'saved' them.
Get another report.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:57 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,809 times
Typically, we send the entire report to the seller's agent. On that report it should say where the infestation is located. Also, the termite company ususally provides an estimate of what it would cost to "take care of the problem". Depending on where you live, state guidelines and what contract states... it can just be a spot treatment. (here we are required to just take care of the existing problem). Could be lender requiring 10 days notice or what is stipulated in the contract. You can get your own inspection and see what yours says..this all can be done very quickly. The "clean" termite letter just states that you have treated the infestation. Also.. in our area... depending on the buyer's lender.. since you have termites (depending on where they are found.. say in wood members of the home-crawlspace) the buyer may need to have a structual letter saying it has no adverse affect on the structure. Normally the buyer's home inspector would have to write a short letter to the lender - IF they have a general contractors license. Don't panic.. its done all the time.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:21 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Ok, wait. Who paid for the termite inspection? Is this something from the buyer? If so, make sure you have your own termite inspection done before you do anything at all.
I know when I sold my house down in Boca a year and a half after I bought it the termite person from the buyer said I had termites and had to 'tent the house' to the tune of $6K. I said, no, no, no. Got my OWN inspection and the house was clean as a whistle. Called the selling broker and told them, we're going to closing and if your customers want more clarification I suggest you pay for a totally independent company to come in and reinspect with my inspector here. They closed. Had the same thing up in NY, only with 'carpenter ants'. I'd lived on Long Island my whole life and this inspector was trying to tell me I didn't know what kind of ant I was looking at on the OUTSIDE of my house. That buyer closed too.
So. First thing to keep in mind with all this termite stuff... It's a business. A very lucrative business. Do not just take someone's word for it if they are working for someone else. Some of them look at it like this... money for the report, money from the seller for remediation and brownie points from the buyer who will recommend me because I 'saved' them.
Get another report.
Wow, very interesting information. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:45 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
What does your Realtor say? Surely they are helping you with this.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
What does your Realtor say? Surely they are helping you with this.
We haven't heard from him all weekend even after putting 2 calls into him and leaving him a voicemail. The only thing we got from him was an email yesterday morning with the attachment stating that we had an active infestation of termites and that the buyer wants a clean termite letter before 10 days before close. So, surely he is NOT helping us with this.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:36 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamarie View Post
We haven't heard from him all weekend even after putting 2 calls into him and leaving him a voicemail. The only thing we got from him was an email yesterday morning with the attachment stating that we had an active infestation of termites and that the buyer wants a clean termite letter before 10 days before close. So, surely he is NOT helping us with this.
That's very poor of your Realtor and you should call the broker and discuss this with them. Your agent has not looked out for your best interest based on the limited information provided.

Now, onto your problem. I don't know GA policies and prices but in the SE there are only 2 types of homes. Those that have termites and those that will have termites. In SC, which is probably at least similar to GA in prices and procedure (check with your agent - maybe he'll answer this time) this relatively simple. The treatment is just a chemical treatment that cost roughly $750 (get quotes) and they come with a bond that can be transferred and renewed annually for an additional $150 give or take a little. Our local contracts actually require the seller to make any repairs and treatments to get a clear CL100 but your local contracts could vary in any number of ways.

The time probably isn't a big deal. I can usually schedule one and have it done in 2 business days normally but don't drag your feet or it could sneak up on you.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,895,230 times
First off, it's a holiday weekend and god forbid that a Realtor®, which I am one, should have a life. (or a termite inspector..gimme a break). 2nd, there are plenty of homes that do NOT have termites and will NOT have termites. IT IS A BUSINESS. A VERY LARGE AND LUCRATIVE BUSINESS. I can't say that enough. I truly believe that with all of my heart.
The best course of action, in my opinion, is for the seller to get their own inspector. Easily done after the holiday.. and quickly. At that time, should there be a situation with termites, then they submit, in writing, how it will be handled to the buyers agent. If there is not a situation, then they state so, in writing, and let there be a reinspection with their own inspector there, otherwise the buyer needs to close it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate