Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,628 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We put our home on the market in late July and will be purchasing my in-laws house -- it's bigger, same school district, great area, super cheap ...

Our home was originally listed for $215,000.00 and we got about 2-3 showings/week at that price.

In early October, we lowered the price to $210,000.00 as suggested by our real estate broker. We didn't see any more foot traffic through the home and its now been 2 weeks since we've had a viewing.

It's now one day away from November and our agent suggests we lower it again to $200,000.00.

Here's our scenerio:

Columbus, OH suburb Hilliard (desirable)
Columbus taxes - better than Hilliard's taxes by far
Hilliard school district -- highly recommended
2400 sq ft home
4 br, 2.5 bath
great lot
Cul-de-sac location
Friendly and clean neighborhood
Our home is in perfect condition -- to our knowledge there is nothing that will need repaired
The price is competitive with others in the area (except foreclosures)
Lots of foreclosures and short sales nearby
Unemployment is 10%

If we lower our price to $200,000.00, by the time all fees/expenses are paid out, we would OWE $700.00. Our new home is super cheap (family discount) and we would be able to start saving a considerable amount right away. The new home doesn't need any work except painting bedrooms for our color choice.

What would you suggest we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:06 AM

504 posts, read 1,545,159 times
If that's all you would owe and you have something else lined up already, I would lower. I can't sell right now because I'm competing with foreclosed homes that some of which have been totally remodeled and are still selling for less than I owe on mine. I can't compete with that. I would stand to loose not only the equity I have put in over the last ten years but also most likely 10's of thousands of dollars more. I would say loosing $700 in comparison is not to much to loose IMO. The two main things hurting us are the large amounts of foreclosed homes to compete with and the high unemployment rate. Are you still paying mortgage on the place you have now? If so, that $700 is already disappearing as a mortgage payment every month, and more every month your house doesn't sell. It's also possible that you had more foot traffic before because of the $8000 tax rebate that ended recently.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
At your price point the $5K drop did not amount to much. I am surprised that your agent did not tell you that.

If you are going to drop I would suggest going to $199,900. That will put you in a whole new price bracket and people looking to buy under $200K will now see your listing when they do a search. Again, I am surprised your agent did not explain this to you.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelleM View Post
Hi,

We put our home on the market in late July and will be purchasing my in-laws house -- it's bigger, same school district, great area, super cheap ...

Our home was originally listed for $215,000.00 and we got about 2-3 showings/week at that price.

In early October, we lowered the price to $210,000.00 as suggested by our real estate broker. We didn't see any more foot traffic through the home and its now been 2 weeks since we've had a viewing.

It's now one day away from November and our agent suggests we lower it again to $200,000.00.

Here's our scenerio:

Columbus, OH suburb Hilliard (desirable)
Columbus taxes - better than Hilliard's taxes by far
Hilliard school district -- highly recommended
2400 sq ft home
4 br, 2.5 bath
great lot
Cul-de-sac location
Friendly and clean neighborhood
Our home is in perfect condition -- to our knowledge there is nothing that will need repaired
The price is competitive with others in the area (except foreclosures)
Lots of foreclosures and short sales nearby
Unemployment is 10%

If we lower our price to $200,000.00, by the time all fees/expenses are paid out, we would OWE $700.00. Our new home is super cheap (family discount) and we would be able to start saving a considerable amount right away. The new home doesn't need any work except painting bedrooms for our color choice.

What would you suggest we do?
Putting house on market in late July in a supposed family/kids neighborhood is a problem right away. Way too late for people relocating with kids.

It might be worth waiting it out until next spring to catch the next wave of people with kids - in the mean time, keep it priced where it is as (the lowest that is acceptable to you) just in case you get lucky and a stray buyer likes your house.

There's always an initial surge of showings the first week - doesn't mean the house was priced right at $215K.

You'll have to make some assumptions and gut checks to see if continueing to pay the mortgage for another nine months or so is worth the risk you'll get a higher price next summer vs lowering even more now ($190K?, something that doesn't start with a "$2").

Also, important things you didn't mention, do you have kids? If so, that would be more incentive to stay so as to stay in the exact same schools. If you don't have kids then that is one less disruption.

The selling points are the cul de sac in a good school district.

Hard to believe there are lots of foreclosures on homes 2400 sqft homes selling for $200K and it is a good school district (I checked, it is pretty good). People couldn't swing $160K-$180K loans?

Bottom Line: this is like a reverse eBay thing "Buy It Now" for higher or "take a chance" that you can wait and it will be lower. Look at it this way, let's say there's a 95% chance you could sell it in the next two months if you lower your price today to $195K. You'd be done. You'd have closure. No more stress. You can move on. You'd have lots of time to earn or make the money back. And, you'd only be going down about 5% from $205K - big deal. Else, you'll have to stress it out for the next nine months.

Time in your life is more important than a few thousand bucks.

Last edited by Charles; 10-30-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
At your price point the $5K drop did not amount to much. I am surprised that your agent did not tell you that.

If you are going to drop I would suggest going to $199,900. That will put you in a whole new price bracket and people looking to buy under $200K will now see your listing when they do a search. Again, I am surprised your agent did not explain this to you.
Actually putting it at exactly $200K is even better because everything now is drop down box filters. $200K gets people looking up to $200K and people looking up from $200K. At $199,900 nobody filtering on $200K and up will see it.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,628 times
Hi and thanks for the reply! Great advice.

Answers to questions:

Yes, we are still paying a mortgage.

We do have kids, 3, one in college - one in middle school - and one in grade school. They would all be able to stay at the same schools for the remainder of this year, then they will have to switch.

Yes, our unemployment is right around 10% - our neighborhood is middle-class and yes, we have a lot of foreclosures, unfortunately.

Last edited by AnnabelleM; 10-30-2010 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,130,040 times
Keep in mind there is probably not much chance of getting actual list price. So while you have calculated a $700 loss it will probably be even bigger than that.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
You have to stay close to the comps. If you are higher than the competition then it becomes even more impossible then it already is to get a buyer.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:52 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
I'd lower it. The market is dropping in most locations, so we have to lower our prices faster than the market can drop.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,747,057 times
As someone else said you have to consider the cost of carrying the home while you wait and hope for a buyer, and possibly end up having to still cut your price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate