Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,480,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
A good portion of the agents on here have their real name as a user name, their city under location and have the real estate tag under their name. Many also have their website and email in their profile.

These all all items that you are able to add so I don't see how you could think it was against the TOS.
Oh did you look at the TOS?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that if they give you an space to enter your website, email, city etc. that it is allowed.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:00 PM

You know Mike, I started reading through that stuff and there was so much stuff about real estate agents and what they aren't supposed to do, I just gave up. But I appreciate the input. Oh, by the way, Mike, what do you know about suits against sellers? Any experience there? You input sure would be helpful.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
I have and it does allow you have your name/location/contact information under your profile.

At least you owned up that it is your opinion.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:11 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
How about I just put a disclaimer that these are the opinions of one person with some very helpful input from some other persons. I guess that's all we all have. I don't think most people put their personal info on CD. In fact, I'm guessing that would violate the TOS. Have you looked at that?
Guess? Why "guess" at the TOS, when they are there to be read?

Brandon's name is "Brandon Hoffman." My name is "Mike Jaquish."
CD TOS is fine with our ID's. We read the TOS, so we would not have to "guess."

Lately, we have seen a LOT of problematical "Guessing" at facts and issues of real estate agency and practice.

Your stuff as presented is often inaccurate and/or misleading and potentially harmful to consumers, while it appears you are expecting others to revise details of myriad errors for you for fundamental accuracy.

Real estate laws vary from state to state regarding RE agency practice and regulation, and that fact is not clearly noted in your stuff.
Standard forms vary widely from state to state, in recognition of local law, regulation, and custom, and that fact is not addressed in your blanket advice regarding agreements.

In real estate practice, we are prohibited from practicing outside our area(s) of training and competence. It would be unethical and illegal in many areas to offer counsel without knowledge. That is why agents specialize in one or two areas of practice, auch as property management, land brokerage specialities, commercial brokerage specialities, general brokerage residential sales, new construction residential sales, condos, etc.
Such should be the case for other professionals, too, I would propose.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Now you guys have to slow down a little. I'll get to all those points, some of which are actually helpful. But I had to go out to dinner because I'm still irate about cutting myself when dicing onions on Friday and cooking isn't on the radar screen. I have a slow day tomorrow and after I do some research on why sellers get sued, I'll get to your points. Just have some patience. This is a process not an event.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
You know Mike, I started reading through that stuff and there was so much stuff about real estate agents and what they aren't supposed to do, I just gave up. But I appreciate the input. Oh, by the way, Mike, what do you know about suits against sellers? Any experience there? You input sure would be helpful.
I have responded in that thread already. Did you miss it?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:14 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
FAQ - Do I Need a Real Estate Broker? Costs, Duties Part I.

TOS prefers no duplicate posts.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:18 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Well, you only get 90 minutes after its posted to edit. I didn't spend 90 minutes. And, I didn't get to post any of what I was working on. I'll put it up tomorrow. It was about how it may make sense to use a broker for some houses where the amount of the commission is reasonably related to the services a broker actually provides. Someone said the median was 184k but thats still 11,600 and there is no way that what a broker does is worth 11,600 to sell a little cul d sac house. But I'll put it up if I get some time tomorrow and we can let people decide.

You know there are some people that totally agree with you. That is why FSBO exists, but here is the deal. You state that you are an attorney and CPA, which means you are presenting yourself as an authority figure in terms of knowledge. So let's talk about YOUR ethics here for a bit. You won't identify what type of law you practice, which I personally find highly unethical. If you are going to talk about your 23 years experience be on the UP AND UP about your credentials, otherwise your behavior is hypocritical. I could thrown a few idioms your way about throwing stones...you know the drill...

You claim that real estate broker's have unfair and unreasonable listing agreements, but yet YOU present an unfair and unreasonable list. It's kind of that two wrongs don't make a right phrase. Agents that have lopsided listing agreements isn't okay in my book. Attorneys that have lopsided arguments aren't okay in my book.

So...show me your attorney skills here. Show me your negotiation skills. PROVE to me without an agenda that YOU can present a well thought out and balanced case for your side of the argument. The problem is that your argument is so obviously filled with an agenda that only the most naive consumers won't see through it. As such, it becomes no better than the "its a good time to buy" slogan that emanates from the NAR.

So...convince me that you KNOW what you are talking about 'cause all I see is a poorly thought out thread rife with generalizations with nothing to substantiate the claims made within. Show me some stats, graphs, charts...present an argument in a meaningful and informative manner. Show me your ability to put together a coherent argument point by point about why I'm not worth $6,000 on a $200,000 purchase. Oh...and don't skip over the counter points I type in. That doesn't say anything good about your negotiation skills.

So...there is my challenge to you.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You know there are some people that totally agree with you. That is why FSBO exists, but here is the deal. You state that you are an attorney and CPA, which means you are presenting yourself as an authority figure in terms of knowledge. . . . If you are going to talk about your 23 years experience . . .
Actually, its 32 years of law practice and 10 years as a CPA. But, it wasn't my idea to put that up, it was Bill or Brandon or one of your cronies. I'll take it off if you feel that strongly about. Just get them to agree because they complained that I didn't have my qualifications up there. For my part, I think a person's arguments should stand on their own without a lot of hoopla about who is doing the talking. But others said put it up so I did.

As for the listing agreement, I have a real slow day tomorrow and I have a whole bunch of listing agreements in my files at work, so I'll try to be more accurate with the agreements in front of me. I did it from memory today. If you want to send me your listing agreement so I can comment on how fair it is, DM me and we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate