Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,059 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to buy a home - but were confused about what to do in this situation:
We went to an agency - they showed us a house - the next week we made an offer. The offer was refused - no counter offer. The same day - we went to talk to the owner and she said that she didn't even have a contract w/ the agency. She said it expired over a month ago.

I'm not sure how I can contact them after the contract has expired - and them still show the house and write a contract. (I can understand somewhat if we had had communication w/ the agency prior to the contract expiring.)

Anyway, we would like to just go through the owner and do the purchase, since the agency has been little to no help...and since the contract w/ them is up. But the contract she has w/ the agency says that 3 months after the contract is up that she can't sell to someone who has spoken w/ the agency - BUT since we didn't speak to them while her contract was in effect - does that still hold. Or since the first communication w/ the agency was last week and the contract was over over a month ago - does it matter.
Please help!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:18 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,926 times
If your time line is correct, it's possible the real estate brokerage was in the hold over period of the listing contract. Of course, I'm just guessing here.
If you are an experianced real estate buyer, you might want to deal directly with the owner. If you don't have a real estate broker to rep. you - you will want to hire a real estate attorney. As you may know, buying real estate is not like a retail purchase. - NO return policy!!
Be careful.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,285 times
My first question would be did they show you the house, as in take you on a walk through, or did they show you a listing? If they took you through the home after a contract expired there might be some issues there. However, if it was under contract when you toured the home with an agent it is probably still under what is called the "protected period" where if the home is purchased by anyone who found out about the home through the agency during the contract period, the seller still owes commission.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
My advise to you as a Realtor is to ask this seller to dig out her paper work/sellers agreement or what ever they call things where you are. Read it. It will tell you the day the listing expired and what her obligations to that agency are if any. And they have no right to be showing the house if the contract expired.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:34 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
I forgot to mention before that as a buyer you may or may not have signed a buyers agreement obligating you to pay your buyers agent a commission for showing you the house. If you were planning on leaving her out of it see what you paperwork says first. And she may not deserve to be cut out of it. She did show you the house you like and submit the contract and there may be part of the story we don't yet know. It doesn't sound to me like she did anything terrible wrong here and likely did all she could do. As a buyers agent she cannot communicate directly with the seller as you did.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Each state is different and you didn't mention where you are. In Texas, we have a "protection period". The protection period protects the agent from any buyers who saw the house while it was listed.

However, the protection period can also be interpreted to say that if the listing agent calls to show the property, and the seller still wants to sell it and agrees to the showing, the listing is still under that protection period. The seller shouldn't have agreed to the showing if they weren't prepared to pay the commissions involved.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 8,369 times
I am confused. If the contract was expired, why did the owners allow the house to be shown?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:42 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry2816 View Post
I am confused. If the contract was expired, why did the owners allow the house to be shown?
Just because it's expired doesn't mean they don't want to sell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate