Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,681 times

Advertisements

If I am being shown potential homes to buy, where are the sellers? Will they be at the homes or do they have to leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
If the sellers have a good agent, they've been advised to leave. However, it is their home and they can stay if they want. Most sellers who stay make buyers uncomfortable and sabotage their own sale, but some sellers think they know best.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
We visited many homes in the past couple months, many of which were short sales. The residents of the short sale homes didn't bother to leave, or make the house look nice, or even clean up the dishes.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:49 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,852 times
Most sellers leave, run errands, go for a walk etc. The very few that stay will generally stay in the back yard or a room but it's been pretty rare. As far as showing short sales/forclosures, I warn my buyers that dirty, unkept homes would be the norm...probably because the sellers have given up and won't see any profit from the sale anyways. Plus they're staying in the house without paying the mortgage, so why help with the sell?

Old 09-10-2010, 01:11 PM

761 posts, read 3,416,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeDerek View Post
Most sellers leave, run errands, go for a walk etc. The very few that stay will generally stay in the back yard or a room but it's been pretty rare. As far as showing short sales/forclosures, I warn my buyers that dirty, unkept homes would be the norm...probably because the sellers have given up and won't see any profit from the sale anyways. Plus they're staying in the house without paying the mortgage, so why help with the sell?
That's a good point, why clean it up? If someone were to buy it, they would have to move out. Let it sit through short selling, then through redemption and have a year + of free living!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:57 PM

434 posts, read 1,309,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
That's a good point, why clean it up? If someone were to buy it, they would have to move out. Let it sit through short selling, then through redemption and have a year + of free living!
Exactly...even if a offer on a short sale is accepted by the lender it could take 6-12 months to close. IF it closes.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:27 AM

7 posts, read 11,940 times
my place is up for sale and i always always leave my place.. i have 2 kids and we always go for a walk when someone wants to see the place.. i actually leave 10 min eariler.!! we've been seeing properties as well and one home people didnt leave.. it was soo awkward coz there was one person in everyone room! and it was soo soo personalized.. it was hard to imagine living there!!

Old 09-11-2010, 11:09 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
I dont leave, but I go outside. I cant imagine leaving each time! And with the lookers showing up late, why would I want to take off early? I'm trying to pack, and I hurry and put up the mess, and thats a big enough pain. lol So far all but one group has been extremly nice...some even telling me not to go out. The 1 group I stayed in for, I'm glad I did. 5 strangers roaming around, their agent just standing alone in the living room doing nothing, and for some reason the 5 hung out waaay to long in the bedrooms! After they left, I was going nuts checking to see if anything was stolen. And I saw them all meet out front, and it was clear they had never met the agent. I was furious that this woman didnt feel it was her job to watch these people! Not to mention she should have been trying to SELL the house. This is why I wont let a lockbox be put on the house, and cant understand other sellers being comfortable with anyone coming in off the street and going through their home.

I am very nice to the lookers & agents, and I have 2 small dogs I TRY and keep out of sight...but my only problem is everyone wants to play with my babies. lol When I'm out, hopefully next week, then the lockbox can go on.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:08 AM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
We spent 2 years on the market cleaning frantically for last minute showings, leaving 15 minutes ahead and then discovering they were a no show. One day hubby had just come back from the hospital after a procedure and got a call. He cleaned up and then drove the car to the end of the road and parked because he wasn't supposed to drive...was supposed to be in bed! But we accomodated.

Then one day he was working from home and got a call for a showing in a couple of hours. He said fine, but he couldn't leave because he was expecting an important business call during that time. He cleaned up, sat in the office working quietly and answered a few questions. Yep, you guessed it. THAT'S the person we got the offer from and are now negotiating with! So I guess unless you are making a real pain of yourself and interfering in them looking, it may not matter what you do if they like the house enough!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
If the sellers have a good agent, they've been advised to leave. However, it is their home and they can stay if they want. Most sellers who stay make buyers uncomfortable and sabotage their own sale, but some sellers think they know best.

This. Especially when the wife starts to cry about selling the house because the soon to be ex-husband is forcing the sale in the divorce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate