Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM

169 posts, read 698,391 times

Advertisements

Also, is there any benefit finding someone local?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 11:25 PM

290 posts, read 573,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsky View Post
Also, is there any benefit finding someone local?
Look in the phone book or check here:

http://www.ashi.org/

http://www.nahi.org/

Don't let a Realtor or Bank get one or recommend one for you. Always hire your own...

The benefit of having some one local will be the familiarity with local codes and additional monies paid for gas and so on if someone came from afar. I am sure there are additional benefits, however.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Good agents tend to give good referrals, bad agents tend to give bad ones. If you hired a good trustworthy agent they should be able to recommend a good home inspector. And yes, get someone local. Contrary to Greenbacks post most agents are good.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:24 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
The inspector I recommend to my clients has done 3-4 inspections for me personally on home purchases the last 13 years and inspected my sons houses (2).

I only want the best inspector for my personal and family inspections and he's the same guy I want doing my clients inspections. I know he is thorough, does not make issues where there are none and will go over the report at the house with me and my clients.

As Brandon mentioned, ignore Greenbacks advice. I only recommend the very best and want my clients 100% satisfied and protected. Ask your agent how long their recommended inspector has been in business and have they used them personally on a home.

Many agents will give you a list of maybe 3-4 they recommend. You might call & talk with them about their services.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
I would also ask to see a copy of a sample report by the home inspector. You'll want to see a nice detailed report with photos that you can reference for any future repairs that you don't negotiate.

Honestly, your best bet is to hire a great buyer agent. They'll have been on many home inspections and will know the good ones from the bad ones. If you don't hire a good buyer agent, then yes, you may get a dubious home inspector.

You do want a local home inspector because they will have been in local homes. The guy I recommend knows which common defects each builder tends to have because he has done so many. He knows which builders are solid and which ones aren't. A non-local inspector won't have that kind of knowledge.

I would also ask them how many inspections they do per month. If they are only doing 10 (unless they are in the retiring process), then they probably lack good home knowledge. The guy I recommend does 40-60 a month and has been an inspector for 7 years. He was in construction before that, which I personally like because he is aware of all of the shortcuts taken by contractors to get houses built.

Here is what I would ask a home inspector if I was going to hire one and didn't know anything.

1) How many different agents refer clients to you? The more agents that refer, generally the more respected they are locally.
2) How many homes do you inspect a month?
3) How many homes have you inspected in your career?
4) How long have you been an inspector?
5) Have you ever had any claims against your insurance as an inspector?
6) Have you ever had any claims against your licensing with the state?

Those questions will get you in the ballpark.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:47 AM

61 posts, read 387,838 times
Angieslist

Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM

Thank you for all wonderful advice.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:01 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I'm confused...are there home inspectors who AREN'T local? Not sarcasm, I've just never even considered such a thing. I would think most states would require the inspector to be licensed in your state, so they would at least have to be THAT local.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I'm confused...are there home inspectors who AREN'T local? Not sarcasm, I've just never even considered such a thing. I would think most states would require the inspector to be licensed in your state, so they would at least have to be THAT local.
I mean someone who do a lot of work in that city. We already found one whose work is mainly in the City 45 mins away.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:44 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My inspector travels all of DFW and North TX. He's been doing it at least 15-20 years and knows the area well. Not sure I would want a Houston inspector doing it but the training & report is all the same. What applies in Houston may not be a factor in Dallas such as the humidity, mold & termites.

So I would suspect most Inspectors you contact will be familar with your region or city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate