Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 25,630 times

Advertisements

We listed our house as a FSBO and in the last 12 hours we've had 2 offers on it. One was a verbal offer made at the kitchen table last night and the other is forthcoming through an agent. Obviously, neither offer has been solidified with a signed contract. I'm just wondering what the protocol here is with multiple offers. The verbal offer was made by a buyer without an agent, so do I call them and give them a heads up that we've had another offer? And, the offer that is forthcoming via an agent (she called & left me a message, but I haven't spoken to her yet)...do I tell her we had a verbal offer last night? Or, do I just wait and see and turn one of them down? We've sold many, many houses in the past, but this has never happened. Thanks!

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:51 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Thread moved to Real Estate forum so that the OP would get faster recommendations than in the NJ Suburbs of Philadelphia forum.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-15-2011, 02:01 PM

160 posts, read 801,619 times
I think I'd keep quiet until I had both in my hand and had a chance to review the pros and cons of each one, and then pick the winner. You might scare one or even both off if the buyers dont want to play the multi offer game.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,667,655 times
I agree.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:31 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupdegraff View Post
We listed our house as a FSBO and in the last 12 hours we've had 2 offers on it. One was a verbal offer made at the kitchen table last night and the other is forthcoming through an agent. Obviously, neither offer has been solidified with a signed contract. I'm just wondering what the protocol here is with multiple offers. The verbal offer was made by a buyer without an agent, so do I call them and give them a heads up that we've had another offer? And, the offer that is forthcoming via an agent (she called & left me a message, but I haven't spoken to her yet)...do I tell her we had a verbal offer last night? Or, do I just wait and see and turn one of them down? We've sold many, many houses in the past, but this has never happened. Thanks!

B
Assuming that the fsbo buyers are qualified to buy the property, call them and ask if they are willing to put the offer in writing with an earnest money check. Then you can consider all three when you get them in hand; and be able to figure your net proceeds, and choose the BEST buyer and the best deal for you. You do not need to tell the fsbo buyers or anyone that other offers are coming in. Right now you are excited, but you need to have all the terms and contingencies in front of you in order to make a decision. Congratulations for being in a good position to sell in this market.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:38 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,937 times
Congrats on the interest in your home---that's great!

However, I wouldn't consider them to be solid offers until they are in writing. I would push for that, and then go from there.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I would tell them both to make an offer in writing.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM

487 posts, read 1,357,870 times
Thats great.
You really only have 1 offer and some kitchen table talk.
I would seriously consider the written offer.
And tell the talker to put it in writing.
Don't enter into verbal negotiations.
Give the buyer who took the time to make a serious written offer all your attention and begin negotiations with them.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
I agree, contracts can be found online or tell your friend to go get an agent to help him write the offer. Selling a FSBO home to a buyer without an agent has higher odds of falling out. All offers should have a lender's letter stating the buyer is a qualified buyer, credit meets lending standards and they have the means to go forward.

As for the types of financing, VA has the strictest appraisals, then State Bond programs, followed by FHA and conventional and USDA.

You want to compare home inspection contingencies - some buyers do home inspections for their own information, some want every single possible inspection. The more nitpicking, the greater your bill. You don't say how long the home has been on the market, only that this has happened in the past 12 hours. I hate it when on a Wednesday the listing agent says they are going to view all contracts thru the weekend and make the decision Monday morning. That turns people off, but it can work if it's a great house and priced right.

That's all that comes to mind - you've got some great agents here to advise. But I can tell you from personal experience, highest price doesn't necessarily equal the best deal.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,459 times
Once you have both offers in writing you pick the one that is best for you. If you prefer the buyer that has no agent but he offers less, then you can ask him to match the other offer. If I were a buyer and liked your house, I would not have been scared away by other bids. Just on the contrary - that would confirm to me that your house is a good investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate