Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 AM

24 posts, read 92,697 times

Advertisements

She's really shady alright, your "best interests" won't amount to much if she gets away with a shady contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 AM

7 posts, read 9,948 times
I keep getting calls from her to start the negotation process. However, she is charging me 2% commission for really acting on behalf of her builder. Should I contact builders directly on my own and have a lawyer write up a sales contract? How much do attorneys charge to do this?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:15 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeoner72 View Post
I keep getting calls from her to start the negotation process. However, she is charging me 2% commission for really acting on behalf of her builder. Should I contact builders directly on my own and have a lawyer write up a sales contract? How much do attorneys charge to do this?
We are not attorneys, we have no idea what an attorney will charge you to look over the contract. Why have you not called one yet? It will certainly be less than 2% of whatever sale price you are contemplating.

Either that, or as has been suggested, get a Realtor to act on your behalf as a seller's agent, and pay him/her the 2%.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:04 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Tell her to talk to the builder about her commission.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
OP, please feel free to contact me via DM if you would like some real estate attorney referrals in your area. You don't want a "closing attorney," you want a contract attorney in real estate. They aren't the same. If she has presented you with a contract, more than likely they have tipped off who represents the builder's interests. In a real estate sale in Virginia, you will incur expenses from the closing attorney, typically, the buyer's attorney, unless you name your own in the contract. So the seller's attorney may as well be of your choosing and from the get-go. At the worse, you may be out a couple hundred bucks, but ahead by several thousand. You definitely want someone recommending your interests - as you know good land in the metro DC area is hard to find, so tear-downs are becoming the top option. Don't be penny foolish.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM

I was going to contact a closing attornery, one who sold me the home. But, I'll now consult a contract real estate attornery who can alert to any obscure fine print. The realtor is saying the builder has a buyer and needs me to sign a new contract with a counter, asap. Or the buyer will walk.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM

251 posts, read 209,364 times
Quote:
How is she charging you 2% if you do not have a contract with her?
And by the way,a take it now or leave it contract is not a legal contract at all.
Tell the realtor to give you a copy of the P+S and take that to a lawyer.
Don't bother going to the lawyer without it.
And do not sign it until the lawyer you choose figures out if it acheives what you want.
No mattter what any realtor says.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I was going to contact a closing attornery, one who sold me the home. But, I'll now consult a contract real estate attornery who can alert to any obscure fine print. The realtor is saying the builder has a buyer and needs me to sign a new contract with a counter, asap. Or the buyer will walk.
Sounds like they are trying to tie up your property while they seek a buyer to flip to.
I would only accept a cash offer from people like that.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
OP, please feel free to contact me via DM if you would like some real estate attorney referrals in your area. You don't want a "closing attorney," you want a contract attorney in real estate. They aren't the same. If she has presented you with a contract, more than likely they have tipped off who represents the builder's interests. In a real estate sale in Virginia, you will incur expenses from the closing attorney, typically, the buyer's attorney, unless you name your own in the contract. So the seller's attorney may as well be of your choosing and from the get-go. At the worse, you may be out a couple hundred bucks, but ahead by several thousand. You definitely want someone recommending your interests - as you know good land in the metro DC area is hard to find, so tear-downs are becoming the top option. Don't be penny foolish.
What Virginia statute outlines that a seller has to pay an attorney to do anything?

Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyJSmith View Post
Sounds like they are trying to tie up your property while they seek a buyer to flip to.
I would only accept a cash offer from people like that.
I agree. She said it will be 14 days for a study peroid and 60 days to close. Which makes me wonder why so long if they have a buyer. I will request a cash only sale. How do you know what form of payment they will give? I guess, I won't know until closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate