Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times

Advertisements

In most areas there's a lot of stock available. First thing is to sort out the places you want to live in from the ones you don't. That means layout, room size, ceiling height, general level of quality and features. If a condo, amenities. Outdoor areas, lot size, etc. The neighborhood, noise, and location. In other words, all the stuff that's very expensive or impossible to change.

Once you've narrowed things down- THEN think about looking for things that don't work or need to be fixed. Settle on one place that looks OK that doesn't have a lot of obvious problems. Make your offer, get it accepted and THEN you get your home inspector. No point in looking for outlets that don't work if the room sizes are too small, or for bad roofs if the neighborhood is lousy.

(Good) home inspectors will inspect more thoroughly than you will. When you've got their list- either use your contingencies to back out it there's too much wrong or bargain the seller down to get things fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:59 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraji View Post
So I'm going to start looking at condos....
I wouldn't be looking at condos given the state of that market, especially if you are in either California or Florida. You're better off renting for the next couple of years. In fact, you might look into renting a detached SFR and if you like it enough you can always make an offer to buy it or a home nearby once that market has fully shaken itself out.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM

191 posts, read 946,292 times
Thanks for all the great information. I started my condo visits last week and have taken all your information to heart.

To those concerned that buying a condo is a bad investment... for me, it isn't. I'm in my mid-twenties, not married, no family. I don't intend on having kids anytime soon (aside my two kitties). I'm busy since I work full time, am getting a Masters and don't want yard maintenance. I'd also like to mention I live in the Philadelphia area and single family homes are way out of my price range and my effort range.

Thanks and if anyone can think of anything else to add I'd love to hear it. I finally found a realtor I really like! I visited with a few of them and I really like the personality of this one I'm working with.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soraji View Post
Thanks for all the great information. I started my condo visits last week and have taken all your information to heart.

To those concerned that buying a condo is a bad investment... for me, it isn't. I'm in my mid-twenties, not married, no family. I don't intend on having kids anytime soon (aside my two kitties). I'm busy since I work full time, am getting a Masters and don't want yard maintenance. I'd also like to mention I live in the Philadelphia area and single family homes are way out of my price range and my effort range.

Thanks and if anyone can think of anything else to add I'd love to hear it. I finally found a realtor I really like! I visited with a few of them and I really like the personality of this one I'm working with.
Don't feel any hesitation about buying a condo...the 'right' one, that is.

There has been a glut in some markets due to overbuilding, but i am not sure you would have wanted one of those during the good times, and you wouldn't want one during the bad times either!

The place you live is YOUR HOME. It is not an investment. If it goes up in price, that is great. If it goes down in price, so what? You live there. Enjoy it.

Renters..and EVERYONE wants to rent right now, are going to get mega screwed when the tide turns. They are paying HIGH rents because everybody has figured out that it is 'better to rent' than risk buying and having the price go down. The landlords, most of all, know that rentals are in BIG demand...so they have put the price up.

When the tide turns, all of those rented homes will be sold, and the renters will be out, scrambling to find housing. You may have noticed that the birth rate is steady, so where are all of these people going to live?

The scramble, and the resulting price RISE, is going to be something to behold. Very entertaining form the outside looking in, i am sure! Trust me, the shortage is going to be staggering! And the prices people will pay just to 'have a place' will be staggering..once again.

Are you buying the bottom? Probably not...but you are getting in a lot lower than a couple of years ago. Go for it girl, and don't look back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate