Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 08:09 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,794,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Matthias View Post
As hard a pill as it might be to swallow, there's an old saying in real estate that the first offer is almost always the best.
I've heard that, but our first offer on the place I just sold was from a lowballer who was bottom feeding, searching for desperate people. He was already on his second buyer's agent at that point and we took home about $30K more by not bothering with him.

As always YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 09:52 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKidsMommy View Post
We have it in our heads that if we could sell it for $325,000 that's probably the best we can hope for.

We finally countered at $330,000 & stated that was our final offer.
I'm a little confused.

If you understand, as the first sentence suggests you do, that you are not going to get any better than $325k, why did you tell the people you are negotiating with that $330k is your final offer? And why would you expect those offerors to come back to you when you told them that you aren't going any lower than $330k?

When the seller names a price as the "best we can hope for", that's usually a price at least a little higher than most buyers will think it's worth. And when that seller then draws a line below which they will not go, and which line is still 1.5% ABOVE the best they can hope for, that buyer shouldn't be surprised that the offeror walks away.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:47 AM

42 posts, read 103,996 times
Our agent suggested that we make that our final offer. Yes, now I am regretting doing that.

According to our agent, our home will sell. WE just have to be patient. I am feeling like an idiot. Thanks for reminding me of that.

I truly hate this entire experience. I want it to be over... We have a showing today. Hope it goes well.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM

175 posts, read 638,035 times
Hey, hang in there...looks like your home is generating a lot of interest and I bet you'll get a good offer soon. I also have had to grit my teeth a few times after putting my home on the market in November, but I now have an accepted offer and (hopefully) a contract by the end of the week. Keep us posted.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:47 PM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
We had our house on the market for 3 YEARS until we got an offer. I think we had a total of 6 showings in that time. I guess you need to decide how quickly you want to be out of there vs. how much money you need to get out of the house.
What I'm trying to say is, you may think you're in a pickle, but you don't know pickles.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM

42 posts, read 103,996 times
Well... The showing we had over the weekend did go well. In fact, those people were interested & wanted a 2nd showing. Then another person drove by & saw our "for sale" sign. He ended up seeing our home later that day & was interested in buying.

Our agent called our first potential buyer. Told her that two other buyers were interested. No other offers but just to "let her know"...

Yesterday the original potential buyer contacted our agent. Said she would offer $320,000. Our agent stated that the offer we made was for $330,000. She took it. Our agent is coming over tonight w/a contract for us to sign. I guess this was a serious potential buyer who really did love our home.

Such a relief. Now we just have to figure out what to do next...

Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,835,211 times
Congratulations! Get through escrow/recording and you are home free, pun intended.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Congrats! Sounds like your agent did a great job for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate