Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM

189 posts, read 797,550 times

Advertisements

We have had our home on the market for 3 months. I have had a couple come back two times and possibly for a third. The husband loves the house, neighborhood, etc and the wife likes it, but has her heart set on new construction. They cannot afford new construction in this school district. We have already lowered our price. My question is how can I possibly entice the wife enough to buy our home over new construction? Their realtor is advising them against new construction because of their price range. If they decide to go with a resale they will make an offer on this house. My patience is running out. We have had so many couples right there ready to make an offer and then nothing. Any suggestions or enticements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:15 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Lookers who can't pull the trigger and buy are not buyers. Nothing you will do will motivate them to make a decision.

More than 15 showings without an offer or two weeks without a showing and you need to change your price.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Different market: Denver vs Long Island

Either the market is better in Denver than Long Island or you must be one of the best realtors. I have several friends who are selling in the Long Island area from the 350k to 950k price range and ALL of them are having trouble selling their homes. The market is slow and people are taking their time.
We have all lowered our prices and have offered incentives.

What would you do to get more people in the door ready to make an offer?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:21 PM

566 posts, read 2,986,100 times
Have you considered making them an offer? Why not write up a sales contract with your Realtor and have him/her send it over to the other agent. It's not conventional, but this is something I have seen get more and more popular as the year has gone on.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:25 PM

What type of offer could I possibly present? I don't think my realtor would go for this. When I suggested offering a home warranty she was against that.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 PM

566 posts, read 2,986,100 times
You could present whatever you wanted. Say...full price, some closing costs and a home warranty. Just make sure that your offer isn't the least acceptable to you. This will leave you some negotiating room.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,325,225 times
Default What?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
What type of offer could I possibly present? I don't think my realtor would go for this. When I suggested offering a home warranty she was against that.
You've got to be kidding! I actually buy a home warranty for my sellers to give to their buyers. It's not very expensive; it gives the buyers peace of mind when buying an older home (vs new construction); and it can help the seller avoid some potential liability stemming from something like a hot water heater breaking the day after closing. Plus it can be a nice marketing tool.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,899,840 times
What an absolutely excellent idea! Please make sure you put a date by which they have to decide by on it though.
And pad3, if your present agent won't do what you would like for her to do...what you are instructing her to do, go to the broker and tell them what you want done. They will make sure it's done. Your agent is NOT in control of this...YOU are. They are there to do what you tell them to as long as it's not illegal.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM

I did let the agent know what we would offer and she will meet w/ them tomorrow to discuss things. I want somebody to be happy in our home, just as we were and don't want the wife to feel like she is settling. The husband absolutely loves the house and they won't be going into debt to buy it like they would with new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate