Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,330,761 times

Advertisements

While the general law has been that agents aren't required to disclose knowledge of a sex offender living in the neighborhood, they weren't prohibited from doing so, either. The law eliminated the need for agents to "discover" and disclose, placing the burden on the buyer to do their due diligence by investigating the area.

The requirements do vary from state to state, and I think most agents, if they're aware of a sex offender living in the immediate neighborhood will readily disclose that information.

Now however, I'm reading that some states are classifying the "sex offender living next door" situation under the stigmatized property laws, which means an agent would be prohibited from disclosing that information. This seems to be a step backwards in my opinion. Good real estate has always been about disclosure. I do feel bad for anyone trying to sell and get out of a neighborhood where sex offenders have moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 02:41 PM

982 posts, read 3,490,086 times
In VA we are not required to disclose that someone died in a house, but I've seen that quite a bit on here. If we were made to disclose every house that someone died in, do you know how many homes would probably never sell?

We are required to do a Meagan's Law disclosure, but it's the purchasers responsibility to do all the follow up that they feel is required to make sure the home they're buying is safe.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:36 PM

345 posts, read 1,579,486 times
hey, you didn't say is cost money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate