Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 AM

143 posts, read 368,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya Donaghy View Post
I agree with Brandon... By your own calculations, if you rent you're going to be paying the same amount as if you paid for the condo at the price you are considering and just walked away. So, anything that you get back from it when you sell is a bonus. If you rent, you'll never get any of that back. Even if you have to sell it at a reduced rate, you're still getting something back. Even if it's not this property, I would still recommend buying...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Walk away?
From a lease? sure you can "just walk away".
Not so easy with a titled property.

If you can sell then (at any price).
---
First, I was talking about IF the OP was to walk away from the condo that he's talking about buying, not about walking away from a lease. Of course, it's not as easy as that, but if you look at my prior recommendations, I've also suggested that he would have options when it came time to move to FL. Such as... renting or selling at a reduced rate. Anything that he could get back from the sale would be that much that he wouldn't have gotten back from renting...

You're right in suggesting to him to consider the what if's, such as moving to FL sooner. But, with his current plan of staying in OH for the next 5-6 years, he would be paying just as much in rent as he would be for the condo.

There are many things to consider, but based on his current plans, my recommendation still stands...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Why isn't anyone also factoring in the money that $55K would earn in an illiquid investment in the meantime?

Old 05-02-2011, 01:05 PM

143 posts, read 368,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Why isn't anyone also factoring in the money that $55K would earn in an illiquid investment in the meantime?
That's a good point, but I think that the earnings would only be secondary to the savings from buying vs. renting...

Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
The 55K would need to be used to pay the rent I'm guessing. I can't imagine it would translate to very much money.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Would the earning be better than 40k over 5 years? Would the $850/mo rent be greater than the monthly income from investing it? If the OP were getting a mortgage my opinion would probably be different but cash makes it worthwhile IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate