Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,696,595 times

Advertisements

I'm uncertain about what to do: fix the roof or pocket the money and fix it the next time. The facts:

1. New insurance company eff 6/11, this claim is with old company for 6/4 hailstorm - I changed because I moved my entire portfolio to a local agent who also writes umbrella liability (old agent didn't carry product) for LL's

2. New roof (10 months old) on this SFH rental property

3. Plan to sell property in 2-3 years.

4. Risk of another hailstorm -- reality in my area

5. Insurance adjuster wrote me a check to replace the whole roof ($4400), roofer says damage so minimal he recommends we don't replace it. Adjuster also said it was minimal damage but since it was a brand new roof he was going to total it so it would be in same condition as before.

Sooooo - What would you do? Replace the roof or just wait until I go to sell the property and do it then if it becomes an issue. By not replacing the roof, I risk other damage and refusal by the new company to deal with the roof because I'm sure there has to be a record of this claim settlement.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:35 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,586 times
I think you already know the answer to this one.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
I think you have laid out the options pretty well, but you still need some details to guide your decision.

#1 What are the odds of more storms in your area? I know that some places are prone to damage. If you are in such a location I would SET ASIDE repairs until RIGHT BEFORE I was going to sell.

#2 How visible / risky is the damage? If there is no way that folks who rent won't notice the rent / risk having leaks YOU GOTTA at least repair those trouble spots!

#3 Value as a percentage of total cost / profit. Since this is an investment property I always would weigh value of repairs / upgrades as a function of WHAT I CAN GET BACK, my hunch is that $4400 for a roof is probably gonna be money well spent UNLESS you are looking at a loss on this property...

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
I think you already know the answer to this one.

I don't need this money and it makes sense to just hold it until I sell the property and its inspected and when/if inspector says new roof is needed do it then. It looks fine from the street and roofer says no worries about performance of the roof. A concern is what the repercussions with the new insurance company if I don't replace the roof after receiving a settlement check?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:57 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Steve Miller said it well:

YouTube - ‪steve miller band - take the money an run‬‏

Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
By not replacing the roof, I risk other damage and refusal by the new company to deal with the roof because I'm sure there has to be a record of this claim settlement.....
You'd really ask another insurance company to pay for a repair that another company has already paid you for? Isn't that fraud?

I realize you say you risk "other damage" but, honestly, are you going to have the new company assess the (future)damage and then deduct from their settlement offering the $4400 you've already been paid?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 PM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Is there a mortgage on this property? If so, the check will be payable to you and the bank. Bank will not endorse unless repairs are done. At least that's what has always happened to me.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Is there a mortgage on this property? If so, the check will be payable to you and the bank. Bank will not endorse unless repairs are done. At least that's what has always happened to me.
No mortgage.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You'd really ask another insurance company to pay for a repair that another company has already paid you for? Isn't that fraud?

I realize you say you risk "other damage" but, honestly, are you going to have the new company assess the (future)damage and then deduct from their settlement offering the $4400 you've already been paid?
I have no intention of defrauding anyone. My concern is constant replacement of a roof and absolutely I would contribute the amount received towards future damage. If I replace this roof now, likely I'll need to keep doing it. But if I don't and the next time there's a hail storm will the roof prices go up and this money I have set aside won't cover the cost but the insurance company won't pay the claim b/c I didn't replace the roof?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
But if I don't and the next time there's a hail storm will the roof prices go up and this money I have set aside won't cover the cost but the insurance company won't pay the claim b/c I didn't replace the roof?
As far as I know, there'd be no way for them to know. If there's hail damage, unless there's obvious old wood showing or something, it'll all look the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate