Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM

139 posts, read 202,217 times

Advertisements

I need some advice from landlords (or anyone with knowledge) about buying a rental property for income. Do you suggest forming an LLC? How does it affect financing w.r.t downpayment and rates? Can the LLC be in a different state? I live in CT and the property is in NJ. Any idea what kind of documents the bank/lender will be asking for? Rental history? My personal income?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
You need to talk to your lender first, then your tax guy, and then your insurance guy. The answer I got from all of them suggested to me that the people that benefit most from LLCs are attorneys that get paid to draft them and then paid even more to figure out ways to penetrate them...

For most folks that are landlords as part of a family business the LLC is not going to do much good. For folks that have partners, whether silent or active, an LLC is probably going to provide more value...

Old 12-28-2011, 09:14 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
You need to talk to your lender first, then your tax guy, and then your insurance guy. The answer I got from all of them suggested to me that the people that benefit most from LLCs are attorneys that get paid to draft them and then paid even more to figure out ways to penetrate them...

For most folks that are landlords as part of a family business the LLC is not going to do much good. For folks that have partners, whether silent or active, an LLC is probably going to provide more value...

Well said.

Now as for the rental property for income?

Do some research.

1. Know the market that you are getting the rental properties
2. Is this an investment or income property?
3. I am in SJ and stay away from NJ for rental property. Not sure what property tax is in your part of NJ but the number never made sense for me.

Make sure you know what's invloved in owning rental properties from that are far away.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:14 AM

52 posts, read 199,283 times
Buy the property first in your name, a bank will have a hard time with you trying to buy it under the LLC name. So buy the property in your name and the day you get the property you put it in an LLC. Simple.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katskill View Post
I need some advice from landlords...
Do you suggest forming an LLC? NO
Can the LLC be in a different state? They shouldn't be.
I live in CT and the property is in NJ. MUCH too far.
hth

Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
Buy the property first in your name, a bank will have a hard time with you trying to buy it under the LLC name. So buy the property in your name and the day you get the property you put it in an LLC. Simple.
May not be so simple to do with a mortgage, the bank would have issues with a change on the title.

I do suggest an LLC, they'll use your credit/income for it. Some banks may have an issue with the LLC, some may not.

Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I own a rental property in NJ, my inlaws own two. We do not have a LLC, but are "partnered" in the management and revenue of the properties. So, I do not think that a LLC is 100% necessary or will really provide all that much protection to the average small time landlord with a couple properties. Ultimately though, I think the advice of speaking to an accountant, lawyer and insurance agent is very valid to discuss your personal situation and the best way to proceed.

What I would say about this exact situation is that I think you should only own properties that are within a reasonable drive from where you are located and that you can visit and get to easily. All of the three properties we own are within a 30 minute drive or less from our principle residences. The other factor is the pure economics. In my in-laws case, they converted two properties that they inherited into rental properties. They took out small mortgages on them to finance needed improvements and both have been positive revenue generators from day one. My property I bought at a great price as a principle residence and only converted it into a rental when we decided to move. Between the mortgage, taxes, proprety management and maintenance it is pretty much a break even scenario for us. If I was simply doing this as an investment I would not have bought this property to rent. The only reason it makes any sense for us is that we do have equity in the home, so could sell it if we had to.

It is also necessary to maintain sufficient reserves to cover yourself in the case of vacancy or emergency repairs. We maintain liquid reserves that are enough to cover 6 months of mortgage payments and/or an emergency repair. Not having this kind of cushion would be suicide when owning a rental property.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:38 AM

5 posts, read 4,857 times
The Reia and several coaches say to put it in a trust and make the llc a beneficiary. This is supposed to provide the best protection. I would speak to a lawyer first. I know some people who did not hire a lawyer and setup the llc themselves and they said they made mistakes and regret it.

Also everyone says it is better to put it in the state the property is in because if anyone does try to sue you will have to use that states courts and they will charge you extra if the llc is setup in another state or country.

If you the property into your name and then transfer into an LLC it will costs you money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate