Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 02:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hi MB. Ha! We were attempting to downsize when we bought the second home (that we just sold). We thought we would have no trouble selling our larger home (I know, I know ); but in my defense this was early last summer. A co-worker of mine went through a divorce and decided to sell his home about 1 mile from where we live. We absolutely fell in love with the house so we took a leap of faith and bought it from the owner. Then we could not sell our home; so we ended up listing the new home and have had both on the market. We have been making double house payments since last August Both houses are in Maryville. We were so fortunate to come out unscathed. We bought the house for $350K last July and sold it this year for $375K. Realtor fees are 5% and we put about $4K in renovations. So our house went up $25K in one year in a bad market. <whew> As for the other house, we have lowered it from $549K to $519K. We are not lowering any further. We are leaving it on the market and still hope to sell it; however, we are not going to lower the price any further. Once that happens we are leaving Maryville City proper ($1600 in city taxes) and going to the county. We don't need the benefit of city ownership with the youngest getting ready to graduate high school. Amazing life lesson with this; hindsight is 20/20.

I would love to return back to the Tri Cities to live; however, I moved here specifically for my job in Knoxville. My dad and his wife and my brother and his family live in Kingsport, but my Mom (widowed from my stepfather) lives in Farragut/Knoxville. I would hate to "leave" her as she is by herself. I left a very nice position at Wellmont; but the lure of where I am now is pretty strong for a variety of reasons.

I do still come to the Tri Cities almost every other week so while I won't necessarily be your close neighbor I am either up on Watauga Lake, in Kingsport or down in K-Town/"Murrville".

Wow, I think I have written a book. I sure am very talkative tonight. Everyone should be ready for bed now!

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes. We just drove by the other house and the realtor put the "Sale Pending" sign out. heehee, I am so giddy I even went and bought a lottery ticket tonight!
Well Shoot girl! Next time you are up to Kingsport area, give me a call, we'll "do lunch"
And if that ticket was a winner...your buying! LOL!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 07:02 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,591 times
Congrats! Please pass some of that good fortune my way.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
That is so awesome, congrats to you!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,434,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
The last you all heard from me is that we were going to lease our house that has been on the market for 10 months. (It is empty as it is a second home for us) That didn't work out as the people didn't have good credit. I also had fired our real estate agent but she and hubby talked and he calmed me down and I agreed to keep it listed with her (but I am still not impressed with her, how I wish Shellytc and other great realtors on here were in my town ).

So, on Thursday I had the entire house professionally, thoroughly deep cleaned. It was clean before but ya know how a just cleaned house is. Then Thursday night I started moving stuff in to stage the house. I brought in rugs, an entryway hall table with lamp and accessories, a kitchen table and chairs and staged it with table settings, put out cookbooks, flavored oils, little kitchen lamp, knife block, etc. Place a wicker rocker and side table on the screened in porch. So, Friday (yesterday) comes and they call and someone wants to see the house. The lady loved it. She went back last night. Today I get an offer for $4900 less than asking (not bad in our range) and it is a CASH deal and she wants to close no later than next Friday. We just have to have a house inspection, she is using our survey and then we are GOOD TO GO! I am just so excited! Our agent went over to the house and she thinks that the staging helped. I am so glad we held to our price; others around us have taken baths and I am glad that we held.

We are still trying to sell our main house, so we are not totally out of the house selling saga; however, I am so happy to have one house payment gone!

Thanks for listening and your good wishes and PM's and positive comments during this process.
CONGRATS!!!!! Whoop-whoooooppppp
I am sure you and hubby are so happy....one headache and payment gone.....one more to go....LOL.
That's EXACTLY what sold our home in the merciless stagnant Florida market....right price range for people to look at and be interested in, clean house and staging!
I am almost convinced, that those key factors ALMOST sell the house by "itself"....(no pun intended to our realtor friends on here )
Good luck to you!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:25 AM

13 posts, read 56,995 times
Talking Congratulations! Arkansas Realtor

Thank you for sharing the good news! There are many happy stories out there but we so rarely here anything but the negative. Good Luck on the next sale!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,323,141 times
Contrats from me too! http://bestsmileys.com/happy/7.gif (broken link)

And a CASH deal less than $5,000 off your asking price!!! Way to go!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
Default Hallelujah!

Congratulations! Wonderful news!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:52 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Update:

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. We closed this afternoon and I have a check in hand!!! We went under contract on Saturday and closed today; what a fast frenzy!!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,134 times
It was a good buy to the buyer; you shouldn't have lowered that much so that it was below market value.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:56 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
It was a good buy to the buyer; you shouldn't have lowered that much so that it was below market value.
After 10 months on the market with only one offer (which was $30K less than asking and a contingency) we were happy to be able to close so quickly and come out whole and not in the hole! But thanks for your comments anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate