Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Seminole, Florida -- The president of a neighborhood home owner's association got a startling response to a letter sent out to residents.

Earlier in the week, Gerard Esposito sent out a letter to all homeowners in the Windtree Oaks neighborhood that many mailboxes were non-compliant with deed restrictions. The letter said "appropriate action" would be taken against residents who did not install a brick mailbox as required.

Deputies investigate explosion of HOA president's mailbox | News | Seminole News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,611 times
I support the response.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:00 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I support the response.

I don't get this. The people CHOSE to live in a subdivision with an HOA. They AGREED to abide by the rules when they bought the house. If they didn't like the rules, they should not have bought the house.

Some people want to restrict themselves and should have the right to do so. That is all an HOA is. The right to restrict yourself. People are agreeing to be restricted when they live there.

The response is totally inappropriate. It's baby behavior.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Makes no sense to me why anyone would buy into an HOA with deed restrictions on mailboxes then fail to comply.

Makes sense for HOAs to periodically survey homeowners to determine how a super majority feel about rules and restrictions.

Makes sense for the HOA to then publish results to all owners.

( Likely the vocal minority will then claim the survey was rigged )

Old 10-02-2011, 12:34 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> It's baby behavior.

Nope. Babies don't usually have access to explosives.

At least the police can start with a good list of suspects.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I don't get this.
The people CHOSE to live in a subdivision with an HOA. They AGREED to abide by the rules when they bought the house. If they didn't like the rules, they should not have bought the house.
or... the only way they could buy was to accept a house with a price that reflected these conditions among other contingencies.

In Fl especially... HOA communities no longer attract the retiree types they were designed for.

Quote:
The response is totally inappropriate.
It's more than that. But it's still coming on strong.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
or... the only way they could buy was to accept a house with a price that reflected these conditions among other contingencies.
I realize in some areas that HOA's are dominant for housing, but buyers still have a choice. No one is twisting their arm to buy a house. OR...they could buy the house and join the HOA board and then propose rule changes.

If the rules rankle someone so much to the point where they feel they need to blow up a mailbox, really they should pass on HOA communities.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:51 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I realize in some areas that HOA's are dominant for housing, but buyers still have a choice.
Not as much as you might want/need to think...
and especially down there.

Quote:
No one is twisting their arm to buy a house.
Their lives are doing that for/to them.

Quote:
If the rules rankle someone so much to the point where they feel they need to blow up a mailbox, really they should pass on HOA communities.
That part is personal; I'm sure.
As well as having come well after the choice to move in.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Not as much as you might want/need to think...
and especially down there.
Disagree. If buyers stopped buying homes in HOA communities, builders would catch the clue train and stop developing them. Buyers have a voice, they just choose not to use it.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Buyers do have a choice and a voice in many places, but remember that some communities are requiring that all new communities be HOA communities, because they like passing off their responsibilities to the HOA. As this has been going on for some time, it does make the idea of "choice" a little more questionable.

I have more and more buyers telling me "anywhere but in an HOA community" these days. Now they just have to convince their city councils, planning departments, etc., to give them what they want. You're right, the developers will listen to their bottom line if buyers stop buying in those communities.

Using a bomb, though, indicates something more than just a dislike of HOA's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate