Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 22,062 times

Advertisements

Hello every one:
My parents are separated and now my mother wants to make a quick claim deed of their house to me?
She is currently paying the mortgage with no help of my father.
My father does not want to sell the house and lives abroad.
Can she do that without my father being present?
Please advice. Thanks for all the help

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-09-2008 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: moved from the San Antonio Forum for more answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,371,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transit View Post
Hello every one:
My parents are separated and now my mother wants to make a quick claim deed of their house to me?
First of all....is your mother in San Antonio? Texas? We have to know that first because state laws are different concerning community property. In Texas it's 50/50. If both names are on the deed, your father would need to "Quitclaim" any interest he has in the property, which would most likely be done after the divorce proceedings and property division. A Quitclaim deed is a legal document releasing a property owner of any claim to real property. Your mother cannot give away his half of the property. If your father files a Quitclaim, your mother can convey the property to you, but not via a Quitclaim deed. You would have to already own part of it for her to do that. Sounds like she needs to talk to her divorce attorney for advice. She/he will be able to advise on the division of real estate. If the real property is substantial, you may need to counsel with a real estate attorney to make sure you avoid exorbitant taxes by acquiring anything of value. You may have to actually "purchase" it in some form (if recommended by your attorney) to protect yourself.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,114 times
Quote:
Hello every one:
Probably not, as Texas is a community property state, and most likely would require both parties to agree. However, I would seek the advice of a professional.

BTW, it's a "quit" claim deed

Old 11-09-2008, 12:23 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,011,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Probably not, as Texas is a community property state, and most likely would require both parties to agree. However, I would seek the advice of a professional.

I always thought it was "quick claim" My mom had to get one after my dad died ( they were divorced).

Old 11-09-2008, 12:46 PM

616 posts, read 2,084,515 times
Quit claim deeds become a big problem when it comes time to sell the house, as title companies HATE them in community property states, and will demand that your father produce a warranty deed transferring his share of the property to your mother. So a QCD won't actually help in this situation.

What a quit claim deed says, in effect, is: "IF I had any interest in this property, I give it up in favor of you." It doesn't actually convey title in the way that a warranty deed or a gift deed does. They work really well in some situations, but not in others.

I would seriously consider finding a real estate lawyer to help you out, as this is the sort of situation where a little bit of time and money spent now will keep you from spending a lot of money, and a lot of time, frustration, aggravation, etc. in the future.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,838,481 times
Yes, a Special Warranty Deed is much better, and will be accepted by Title companies more readily

Old 11-10-2008, 07:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,767,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post

I recently saw a QCD done by a couple while they aren't getting a divorce but the have financial trouble...HOA lien, property taxes delinquent, mortgage lis pendens....isn't that even allowed if you have a mortgage to do so without approval of the mortgage company?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,766 times
Quote:
Hello every one:
The simple answer is yes, she can quit claim the house to you. The question is, what will you get? If your father owns 1/2 of the house, you will only get your mom's 1/2. The fact that your mom is paying the mortgage doesn't mean that your dad doesn't own 1/2 of the house. If you mom has her deed, check to see if your dad's name is also on it. But even if his name isn't on it, there are other ways that your dad can be considered an owner. A local attorney would need to guide you.

But there is really no reason to use a quit claim deed here. It doesn't solve any problems for you or help your mom get rid of your dad's interest in the house.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,219,237 times
Also be aware that if you change the title to the property, the mortgage company can and probably will call in the mortgage on the property...meaning pay up now. An attorney should also look at the clauses in your mother's mortgage documentation.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,756,735 times
The other thing to think about is the tax implication of the transfer. If your mother quit-claims 1/2 or whatever (and assume that you don't pay her fair market value in cash), the government calls it a gift and gift taxes are due for the property....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate