Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I would also check the actual real estate property tax listings before proceeding.

The RE agent who entered the listing could have keyed in the wrong amount (ooops! typo!) or they could have brought back to life an old expired listing and neglected to update it completely.

Basically, don't trust what you see on real estate listings. Double check with with city/town/county records. There usually is a website to see actual, current assessed values.
So you'd say it's legit to ask the town assessor what the property taxes are on another house? Not sure that is public info (I know that deeds and mortgage info can be found on online registries of deeds, but have never seen tax listings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Also, keep in mind that you only compared to one home. It could be that rather than your home being overtaxed, that other home could be being undertaxed.
Ah, but how do I find out....

Old 11-08-2011, 03:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So you'd say it's legit to ask the town assessor what the property taxes are on another house? Not sure that is public info (I know that deeds and mortgage info can be found on online registries of deeds, but have never seen tax listings).
In my county, it is listed on a public access website. You can not only look up how much the taxes are, but what the assessed value is, and you can even pull a pdf copy of the actual tax assessment notice, with exemptions listed.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Ah, but how do I find out....
As someone else said, you need to look at homes that sold recently that are comparable to yours. You may need to find a Realtor friend who can pull that information in the MLS for you, as sold data is often not publicly available, at least not easily. That will give you an idea what your home is actually worth, and tell you which assessment is closer to correct.

Again, that is assuming that the difference is actual a difference in assigned value, and not a difference based on levy rates or exemptions.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Taxes can easily vary on identical homes in the same town. Homestead exemptions (usually for seniors), when last appraised (valued), appraised value (identical house in different parts of a town), etc.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
I'm glad the op started this thread, I have some ?? also. Now I'm going to sound dumb here, so here goes. Does the tax on a house go by the price paid? So 2 neighbors with identical homes will pay a different amount, based on the year bought? And is that why when you are buying a house, its states a tax amount on the house, but then it goes higher for the buyer? For instance, mine went up over $300 than what was listed as the tax for this house.

If this is all true, seems unfair imo. Shouldnt all the neighbors pay the same, except for homes that are upgraded? So if someone bought their house in the late 70's and are paying $800 a year, their neighbor who bought in 2004 could be paying over $2,000?! ( just an example ) We had prop 13 in Ca. so never worried or thought much about taxes, but even then I felt it wasnt fair that house taxes were based almost on a " 1st come,1st served " bases. You cant help when you were born and able to buy.

Anyhoo, tia and sorry for the mess ups in my post. Was throwing the ball for my 2 furbabies at the same time, our nightly ritual.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:29 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Taxes can easily vary on identical homes in the same town. Homestead exemptions (usually for seniors), when last appraised (valued), appraised value (identical house in different parts of a town), etc.
Hmmm, last appraised. Is that how the newcomer gets a higher tax bill? Wouldnt it make sense for the city to appraise all houses once every few yrs? ( hope they dont though )

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
...Wouldnt it make sense for the city to appraise all houses once every few yrs? ( hope they dont though )
Yes, that is generally what happens. In Arizona, homes are reviewed once a year to set a value for taxes. In other states it might be more than a year between valuations. We also have an appeal process, but only for a limited time after the new valuation notices are sent out. All property tax information is public and available on line.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
You only saw the tax, but not the assessed value of the property?

Could be various exemptions that the other property owner has. Possibilities: Senior citizen, disabled, blind, widow/widower, homestead exemption, veteran, maybe special easement and property is worth less due to easement.

Each town or county or state can have different exemptions. Check to see if you are getting all that you are allowed. But possibly the other property owner qualifies for additional exemptions.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

As to this other property, is it possible that it is owned/occupied by a senior or disabled person who may qualify for exemptions that you do not?

Good question, but it's not likely that an exemption/reduction would show in the official record. Those would be in the form of a tax deduction or special appeal to the municipality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate