Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times

Advertisements

I have a home that is in NY for sale at the moment. I am so frustrated that everything that I see in the same price range is a short sale. Mine is not ; no mortgage, nothing at all.

How can a decent homeowner compete with the short sales? Besides dropping the value to below the short sales prices? I have already dropped it once, brought up the commission rate.

Yet again, the decent people are getting shafted by those who cannot or wont pay their mortgages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 06:04 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Have you talked with your agent about ways to increase the perceived value of your property? Fresh paint, new carpet, maybe even updating kitchens and/or baths? Sometimes spending a little money will either speed up the process (and get you where you want ot go) or get you more money for the house than you put into the updating.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,808,494 times
Have done all that. The house was painted in the past month, bathrooms were both done, roof is done, windows are done, Kitchen was done three years ago. House is vacant so no problem showing it.

Its just frustrating and time will tell.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
everything that I see in the same price range is a short sale.
Unless its a bank approved short sale, all those prices are fake. A buyer puts a bid in for say $200,000. The seller owes, $350,000, the bank says no way, and approves a shortsale for $325,000. Buyer backs out, seller re-lists for $325,000. Next buyer puts a bid in, bank says no way and approves a $335,000 shortsale. Buyer backs out..... and on and on, and on.

Its a mess.

Nationally, only 1 in 5 of those short sale listings will ever complete the selling process and rarely ever for the price listed. Most end up foreclosed.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,662,183 times
Quote:
Its just frustrating and time will tell.
Just wait until all the baby boomers start selling at the same time due to sickness, death, cant climb stairs, downsizing, retiring.

There will be so much inventory of housing and no buyers due to younger generations having such huge student loans and low paying jobs.

Sell now.........

Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
all those prices are fake.
Exactly! And if someone is out seriously looking at houses, they figure that out really quickly! And after they look for while, they start to get a rough idea of what houses in that range are really worth - and what the short sale houses will probably go for.

If your house is priced accurately, the serious buyers out there will be able to compare your house to the short sale houses.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 AM

525 posts, read 900,150 times
Quote:
I have a home that is in NY for sale at the moment. I am so frustrated that everything that I see in the same price range is a short sale. Mine is not ; no mortgage, nothing at all.

How can a decent homeowner compete with the short sales? Besides dropping the value to below the short sales prices? I have already dropped it once, brought up the commission rate.

Yet again, the decent people are getting shafted by those who cannot or wont pay their mortgages.
what you can't be A decent person and have your home in foreclosure? Maybe your house is a piece of junk, that would explain no interest in it.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:48 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Did you get a recent appraisal to learn your home's market value? Maybe the market value has dropped a lot due to all the short sales and foreclosures, and possibly you are priced too high.

As frustrating as it is, the short sales and foreclosures have brought the market value of everything down. In order to sell, you need to know the true market value of your home. Are prices still falling in your area? If so, maybe you priced well 6 months ago but need to lower the price because the market went lower.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:51 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,382,420 times
Quote:
Just wait until all the baby boomers start selling at the same time due to sickness, death, cant climb stairs, downsizing, retiring.

There will be so much inventory of housing and no buyers due to younger generations having such huge student loans and low paying jobs.

Sell now.........
The baby boomers are now between the ages of 50 and 67 - and while some are downsizing now, millions more are a good 20-30 years away from needing or wanting to downsize or change their lifestyles. Lots of grandparents still want a big house, so that everyone can come and stay with them. That desire hasn't suddenly gone away.

Obviously the baby boomers will have an impact on the market - but I just don't see it as being as dire as you're predicting. And in fact in my area, I doubt we'll see a negative impact at all. There's just too much demand for housing here!

Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,348,549 times
Quote:

Sell now.........
the sky is falling the sky is falling

I'm not sure i have much advice, do you have the right agent? how long are you on the market for?

as noted above, short sales in general, have a real hard time closing, NY isn't Vegas or Pheonix, it isn't as well a definied process, and it isn't every house thats under water.

if you're neat clean, and somewhat updated, it really depends on price and time. Are you in a desireable SD? not that you can change it, but in this market SD's that are lower on the list seem to have a lot more problems selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate