Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times

Advertisements

My sister was a realtor at one time and for fun she would take me through foreclosures. Saw a lot of real bad ones. Saw a house where the previous owners plugged sinks on purpose and ran the water to flood the house. The damage was unreal. Looked at homes where they were structurally dangerous to be in.

I have owed 5 houses so I have been through a lot and saw some pretty bizarre stuff. Bad decor, dirt, horrific color schemes, crazy owners that want to be there for showings. I looked at one house that we referred to as the blue house. Everything was blue. I mean everything. The outside was blue, the interior walls were blue, carpet, baths. It as an older couple and the owner followed us all over the house. She had a horrible cold and kept sniffing. She kept telling me how I could decorate the place if I bought it. She got on our nerves. I actually liked the layout of the house but it was a large home and we wouldn't be able to replace all that blue carpet for years. We decided not to buy it because of that and there is only 3 of us and we didnt need a 5 bedroom house.

I think the most memorable though was when my husband and I were looking for our 2nd home together. It was an old house that was divided up into two flats. The house was huge. We toured the first flat on the main floor. It was empty but clean. We then went up to the second floor flat. Our realtor was told no one was home. She did the obligatory knock and no one answered so we went in. It was very dark and dirty. The only thing in the living room was a complete drum kit. I walked into the bathroom and there was a big turd in the toilet. Then I walked into the bedroom and there was a dirty mattress on the floor and a heap of blankets piled on top. I walked into the room and a man sat up from under the blankets. He had crazy hair and was butt naked. I screamed out because he scared me. He just stared at me with blood shot eyes for about a second and flopped back down on the bed and went back to sleep. Naked hairy butt in the air. Ick. We got of there fast. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Wow, some crazy stories here.

The most memorable for my wife and I was when we were looking for our first house. We went into one that looked decent enough on the inside. This was during an open house. The seller's realtor explained to us that we couldn't see the master bedroom because one of the owners was home and sleeping in there due to illness...OK. We tried to look at the basement, only to realize the ENTIRE floor was covered in dirty laundry. The real kicker was when we went to check out the garage, which was set up like an obvious drug hangout. Old couches, cheesy beer signs, etc. The place wreaked of pot smoke.

The funny thing is that we ended up buying the house right across the street. Previous owners of the "druggy" house moved out not long after, thankfully.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM

773 posts, read 503,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
We have been on home hunting missions several times through the years and I thought I had seen it all. However, I was wrong. We recently toured a home that was a prominent Doctor who lost it to foreclosure. It was shocking how not nice it was. They had homemade bidets made out of kitchen faucet sprayers in the all of the bathrooms. Really? You couldn't afford to install real ones? Would love to hear others that have seen funny/weird things while house hunting.
I think that is just a hand held faucet to rinse/wash hair in the sink.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:57 PM

773 posts, read 503,738 times
Went into one house where all the walls in the entire house were painted in deep BOLD colors, with murals all over them. Textured at that. 100% of the wood trim in all rooms were painted in thick, dripping shiny brown paint.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Showed a foreclosure today.

There is a den, with double doors.
The double doors each have BIG hardware store barrel slide latches into the header casing, to allow someone to lock themselves inside the den.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:16 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
Hard to use your home office when spouse or kids at home. Just lock the door!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
I just remembered the REO where not only had the owner painted the walls atrociously, filled it full of animals that left a stench, but liked to decorate with glue and glitter. It seems whenever she had a "witty?" thought she wrote it out on the wall in glue and threw glitter on it. This includes the note on the door warning everyone that witches lived there. I felt like this person deserved to lose their house. Anyone that totally ruins a house really doesn't deserve to have one.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:01 PM

630 posts, read 1,717,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
I think that is just a hand held faucet to rinse/wash hair in the sink.
Wrong..there is a 1/2 bath with a pedastal sink on one side of the bathroom and the same sprayer get up on the opposite of the room hooked to the wall by the toilet. All 4 toilets have them.

I'm shocked at some of these stories..there are some really bizarre folks out there.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Several years ago I went to an open house in Redondo Beach. The house had been turned into some sort of group house, and to create additional living quarters they had actually torn out the center staircase.

The only way up to the second floor was this rinky dink circular staircase that had obviously been nailed up by amateurs. It was scary to go up it, and it just looked very strange, to boot. I don't know what sort of drugs the people in that house did, but the whole place was bizarre. It was sold as is and torn down.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:24 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Pajama mama~ View Post
Wrong..there is a 1/2 bath with a pedastal sink on one side of the bathroom and the same sprayer get up on the opposite of the room hooked to the wall by the toilet. All 4 toilets have them.

I'm shocked at some of these stories..there are some really bizarre folks out there.
I expect it is their attempt at a poormans bidet. A bidet is a necessity if you were brought up with one. Most Americans consider a bathroom with a bidet as "gross" while others think it a boot washer.....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate