Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 PM

45 posts, read 151,051 times

Advertisements

I have a question about gift money. My husband and I are giving our niece some money as a gift to help her buy her house. We signed a letter saying that the money was a gift but now her lender is asking us for a statement for our checking account.

Has anyone ever heard of a lender asking for a statement from the person gifting someone money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM

11,839 posts, read 34,478,047 times
yes. it shows you have the money to gift to her.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Okay my question back to you is wouldn't the check clearing into my niece's account prove I had the money? And how is a statement going to prove that I have the money to give her? I could wait until the day after the statement rolls out and close the account. Our I could have given her a cashier's check from cash that I had on hand or even have given her cash outright.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 PM

15,597 posts, read 40,497,229 times
They want to know where the money came from. It's a fraud thing. For all they know 10 people pooled money together to give to her. They want verification that you and you alone gifted her the money.

It's totally normal.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 PM

I'll counter a question to you. How will a month statement prove that? We could have pooled our money when my niece originally talked about wanting a home. One statement doesn't prove anything other how much money my husband and I have. That has no bearing on her mortgage.

It's a shame since I don't feel comfortable with strangers who have no reason knowing if I have a penny or a billion dollars in my account. We are thinking about withdrawing our gift.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 PM

It's not my policy, nor is countering their policy going to change it. It's the banks job to verify all sources of funds used for the transaction. All lenders will ask for verification of funds from you. If you are uncomfortable sharing it with them, then you need to back out quickly. I'm not sure if there is an offer on the table, but if there is don't string the sellers along. Let them get their house back on the market quickly.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:55 PM

This was the reputation comment I got:

Quote:
my dad gave DGD 25K and had to show proof it was from his account- no problem- if you came by the money honestly it shoudln't be one for you
I came by the money when my mother died of cancer. Is that honest enough for you.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
It's not my policy, nor is countering their policy going to change it. It's the banks job to verify all sources of funds used for the transaction. All lenders will ask for verification of funds from you. If you are uncomfortable sharing it with them, then you need to back out quickly. I'm not sure if there is an offer on the table, but if there is don't string the sellers along. Let them get their house back on the market quickly.
The point I'm making is that a statement proves none of the reason's it was requested for.

That is like asking for proof that I owned a orchard after I've already given her apples. What point does it have? None, she has the apples.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna08 View Post
The point I'm making is that a statement proves none of the reason's it was requested for.

That is like asking for proof that I owned a orchard after I've already given her apples. What point does it have? None, she has the apples.
I get your point, but it doesn't matter. It's what the bank requires to feel comfortable that they have verified the funds. They are the ones lending her the money so they get to set the rules about how that happens. This is one of their rules. If your niece wants money from them, then she has to follow their rules.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 PM

1,095 posts, read 4,002,121 times
As a side note, when did "gift" become a verb? People use it like that all the time, and I've never known why. Anyway.

The bank is being a little silly, in my opinion. Technically, the niece didn't need to disclose who gave her the money. It could have been her savings, as far as the bank is concerned. Once you gave it to her (or "gifted" it, for some of you), the money was hers, and your bank account information is irrelevant. Nonetheless, to get a loan you have to play along with the bank sometimes, and this is one of those times. Something the bank wants to watch out for is when the buyer doesn't really have the downpayment at the time of closing, but is getting it from the seller. For example, if the seller is selling the house for $100,000, but agrees to list the sale price as $110,000 and give $10,000 back to the buyer to use for a downpayment, that's a no-no. As in a mortgage fraud no-no. Banks verify the source of funds to make sure things like that don't happen. But in my opinion, it's overreaching to ask for account info from the source of a gift.

From re-reading these posts it sounds like the bank thinks you still have the money, because she must have listed you as the source of the funds. If they pull your account info and find nothing, (or not enough to cover that amount) that might mess things up. Your niece should try to clarify this with the lender to make sure they understand she already has the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate