Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM

903 posts, read 3,581,194 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am trying to decide the best time for my realtor to list my house on mls. She said not to do it on Presidents weekend. I was thinking to list the first week in Feb but then was thinking it was less time to get "stale" on the market if I listed it the first week in March/last week in Feb. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated- Do my time concerns really matter for this springs market? Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,413,242 times
Pretty much every MLS system has some functionality that allows agents to review the history of the systems listings. I would rely on your local real estate agent to understand what factors are locally important to your market segment and weight that against the pluses / minuses of being "first to list" vs "active to the largest pack of buyers"...

In either case the ACTUAL CONDITION of your home AND your listing price are far more important than 'timing'. I guarantee that if you invest the time to make your home SPOTLESS and staged to make it as welcoming as possible along with a price that compares favorably with other homes that have recently sold you will maximize the odds of a timely sale. Use the time you have to put your home in "magazine shoot" condition...

I also have to note that given the continued weakness in most real estate markets that if a large number of houses that compete with your are distressed they will make it more difficult to ask top dollar. I would expect that you and your real estate agent have already been though a competive market analysis and set a strategy for your likely listing price.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:19 PM

Thank you for your reply-I appreciate the input!

Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Put it for sale yesterday. It's not going to be worth more in a few months but it might be less and you'll have more competition. Quit wasting time and list it already.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:06 PM

948 posts, read 2,792,988 times
IMO I think it is key to get the most bang out of the "newness" of your listing. Lots of people subscribe to new "hot" listings as do agents. In my area I prefer to enter my listings on Monday thru Wednesday and try to beat holidays by a week. This gives people coming in to town for the weekend time to spot it, and minimizes the number of people missing the new listing while out for the weekend.

Other than that, I don't think it is worth trying to over think it. The simple truth is, when it's not on the market NO ONE will see it!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 AM

Thanks-we will aim for a couple of weeks before presidents weekend-

Old 01-12-2012, 06:23 AM

157 posts, read 499,421 times
We were told not to list in August (when we wanted to) because that's when schools start and families with children don't want to move the kiddos to different districts and what not. They also told us that end of summer isn't a good time to sell - well we listed it anyway in August...we sold our house for full price in 23 days! Moral of the story...I don't know lol...but I just went with my gut instinct.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
Hi. I am trying to decide the best time for my realtor to list my house on mls. She said not to do it on Presidents weekend. I was thinking to list the first week in Feb but then was thinking it was less time to get "stale" on the market if I listed it the first week in March/last week in Feb. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated- Do my time concerns really matter for this springs market? Thanks-
Generally speaking, listings go stale for one reason. They are not priced to sell, given the local market, condition and location.

The longer a property sits amongst the unsellables the greater the difference between the original asking and closed sale price. If, for example, the average days on the market in your area is 120, this tell you it's taking 120 days for the average seller to reposition their property to sell.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,226,483 times
I've noticed some real drops in inventory in certain price ranges and certain communities that are creating almost a shortage (2-4 months of inventory). Yes there are less buyers out there now, but why wait to list when everybody else does? Ask your agent to show you an absorption rate report for your price range (within $25,000) and your community. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:26 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,002,883 times
We have about 2 months of inventory right now in my city. Well priced, decent listings sell immediately, often for more than list. The ones that linger are priced 10-20% above market (or more!) and hang around forever because the owner cannot or will not sell at market price.

Markets are local and yours may be different, but why not list when there is less competition? Perhaps fewer buyers, but the ones looking have a reason to buy now and not wait for the summertime school break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate