Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Having actual existence or reality.3. a. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic. See Synonyms at fair1.
b. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.
objective - definition of objective by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Quote:
not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased: an objective opinion.
Objective | Define Objective at Dictionary.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrough View Post
For an appraisal to be completely objective, it would need to be based 100% on measurable factors, which are agreed upon by all parties and weighted the same way by everyone. The result would be the same every time, given the same property and market, no matter the appraiser.
The question becomes one of "which" measurable factor and the reading of the market to determine just how much value those factors contribute to the overall value. The appraisers knowledge and experience should not be subjective or based on anything but observable market response. The interpretation of observable market response to those factors is what is sought. To state that Appraisals are not that objective is both not true, and is misleading. Differences in value opinions are based on the value given those factors that the appraiser believes is representative of a typical buyer for that particular property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 AM

17 posts, read 40,010 times
Quote:
The opposite of "objective" is not "biased." It is "subjective." Objective means there is no judgement involved. For an appraisal to be completely objective, it would need to be based 100% on measurable factors, which are agreed upon by all parties and weighted the same way by everyone. The result would be the same every time, given the same property and market, no matter the appraiser. That is demonstrably not the case. It is not an insult to appraisers to say it's somewhat subjective. In fact, I'd say it's more of an insult to say it's totally objective, because the hard-earned judgement they bring to the table is what makes a skilled appraiser valuable, isn't it? If all they're doing is plugging numbers into a known formula, to get a totally objective result, anyone who can type can do it.
Well stated.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
I think one of the real issues is that appraisers have to judge the "quality" of the sold comps based on pictures and MLS descriptions, which of course show the house in the best light possible and hide the issues.

I have a listing that is very high $/sq ft for the neighborhood because it has a very large, somewhat flat lot (very rare here) and the interior is updated (but not opulent). With 3 full-priced offers, I am still concerned how the appraisal will go so I looked at close comps to see the difference. One house was almost exactly the same on paper (based on MLS) sold for $30K less. I called the buyers agent and he said it had tons of wood rot, the interior was completly original, 20 years old, except for the granite counters in the kitchen, the driveway was crumbling, etc., etc., etc. None of these items were described as such in the listing. If an appraiser doesn't make that call, how can they possibly make valid adjustments no matter how skilled or objective they are? I've received a few calls from appraisers recently, but nowhere near as many as homes I've sold.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
Nina, that kind of adjustment is an easy calculation just based on the selling price of the comparable. A lot of appraisers don't make it, but it isn't difficult to arrive at a value regardless of the reason a house sold high or low.

Two elements apply: Depreciation is loss in value for any reason. Sale price of a house (arms length) IS its depreciated value.

Sale Price of GLA/RCN of GLA gives you depreciation %. Comparable Depreciation % - Subject Depreciation % = condition adjustment.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
The opposite of "objective" is not "biased." It is "subjective." Objective means there is no judgement involved. For an appraisal to be completely objective, it would need to be based 100% on measurable factors, which are agreed upon by all parties and weighted the same way by everyone. The result would be the same every time, given the same property and market, no matter the appraiser. That is demonstrably not the case. It is not an insult to appraisers to say it's somewhat subjective. In fact, I'd say it's more of an insult to say it's totally objective, because the hard-earned judgement they bring to the table is what makes a skilled appraiser valuable, isn't it? If all they're doing is plugging numbers into a known formula, to get a totally objective result, anyone who can type can do it.
Tell me which parts are not measurable.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM

143 posts, read 386,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Tell me which parts are not measurable.
Location. View. Quality of finishes. Condition. You can say they're measurable if the measurements are very coarse (does it have a view or not), but when it comes down to fine distinctions, it breaks down.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,991,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Then why do banks bother with an appraisal in the first place?
The bank is protecting their investment (the loan) by doing risk control (price/condition analyses).

Old 04-18-2012, 12:21 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,143,650 times
Quote:
Location. View. Quality of finishes. Condition. You can say they're measurable if the measurements are very coarse (does it have a view or not), but when it comes down to fine distinctions, it breaks down.
All the items you list are adjusted for. Have you read the new breakdowns for quality and condition (i.e C1-C6 and Q1-Q6)? They are pretty detailed.

View is pretty obvious. Location is the one that is somewhat lacking imo. In my small town of about 22,000 the west side is clearly more desirable and more valueable than the east or south sides, but there is never an adjustment for it.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,115 times
Quote:
Location and view can be determined, frequently, by the lot value. Condition can be determined by depreciation which can be determined by the cost approach.

What else?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:32 PM

143 posts, read 386,035 times
I honestly don't know why I'm even debating about this, because it truly isn't something I care a lot about, and I'm not one of the people who dislikes appraisers (as some of the others on these threads seem to be). And I have a feeling no one on either side of the discussion is going to change his or her mind. But the argument that it's all perfectly measurable, and that no judgement goes into it at all, just doesn't sit right with me.

I didn't say these factors can't be adjusted for, I said they can't be "measured." Meaning, I don't personally believe that someone (anyone) can walk into a house, say "this view is a 7.34, and the one down the street is an 8.283," and plug those into a formula to get a deterministic value for the house. Yes, lot value is a good signal, but it can change over time. What if a big building was built blocking half of the view? What if there was a wildfire that burned down a bunch of the trees that were previously beautiful? Further, who is to say that the original lot value is right? At some point, someone had to decide that the view or location on home A is better than the view on home B, to give it a higher value. How do they determine that? On a golf course home, what is the difference in value of a house on the fairway vs the green? What is the difference in value of a house on a 25MPH street vs. one on a 30MPH street?

Similarly, how much do you deduct for a 6 inch diameter coffee stain on the carpet in the living room, and how does that differ from a 12 inch diameter stain, or a stain in an out of the way bedroom? What's the difference in value between a 16 year old well maintained furnace, and a 4 year old poorly maintained one?

Let me approach from the other side: if it IS all measurable and objective, how is it that two appraisers can come up with different values for the same property in the same time frame? Are you guys saying that when that happens, one of the appraisers is wrong and one is right? If not, and if it's all measurable, and if no judgement comes into play, what accounts for the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate