Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM

3,858 posts, read 4,460,856 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm in the process of closing on a house, through our mortgage broker we got a 3.75% interest rate, closing costs paid by the seller, we used a conventional loan for the lower monthly payment so we had to put down 5%. We have a closing date of July 27th.

I was talking to a coworker today and she told me to look into NACA (Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America). By using them you have no downpayment, no fees, plus an interest rate of 3.375%. My mother always said that if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. So what am I missing? Is there a catch here? The house we are purchasing is under $175K so it falls within the price range that they will finance. I would like to hear all thoughts on whether this would have been a better route to take rather than a traditional broker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
You can look them up on the BBB.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 AM

43,378 posts, read 77,299,991 times
IMO, run with what you have in process.
Great rate.
Low downpayment.
No delays due to 3rd party assistance.

Nothing against NACA, but they are there for people who need financial guidance and counseling and cannot finance conventionally. If you can do without, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
You can look them up on the BBB.
Well, that is not very appealing.
But to some extent, does it also reflect on the financial sophistication of the clientele?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM

15,598 posts, read 40,508,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Well, that is not very appealing.
But to some extent, does it also reflect on the financial sophistication of the clientele?
I think so. The program is mean for people that struggle to budget and are subprime so they probably have some unrealistic expectations to begin with.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,290,699 times
The catch is you have to take their classes and then spend time volunteering for the organization. You can't get something for nothing.

They founder is famous for storming board meetings at major banks and holding protests and sit-ins. The banks hand money over to them for lending.
https://www.naca.com/nacaweb/economi....aspx?language= Think ACORN - but for Real Estate.

I'd only use them as a last resort, they are run more like a non-profit than a bank and it shows. The underwriting and loan application process takes way longer than other places, and you need to do a lot of legwork and reaching out to them to make sure all your paperworks gets completed properly and on time.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:36 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,415,363 times
If they're helping people into mortgages who truly cannot afford them, I'd steer way clear of 'em.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,934,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Hi all,
I'm in the process of closing on a house, through our mortgage broker we got a 3.75% interest rate, closing costs paid by the seller, we used a conventional loan for the lower monthly payment so we had to put down 5%. We have a closing date of July 27th.
I must be terribly out of touch. I thought having a conventional loan meant a 20% down payment. Didn't the lenders learn their lesson from the bursting of the real estate bubble a few years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate