Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 PM

93 posts, read 326,146 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to figure out the right price to put on an offer - it's a longshot offer, really, since the asking price on the house is actually about $40k over what I can afford, and I'm not willing to stretch my budget. The market average sales over the past year in that vicinity (all within a few blocks) is high-$130's to low-$140's per square foot for similar homes, and the asking price is $159/sqft. It is a very nice home - a very old (1907) two-story plus finished attic and a two-car garage. It appears to have been extremely well maintained, and recently updated or remodeled based on the very good condition inside - no major 'extras' or high-end materials used, but it's all in good condition. So I can see it pulling a premium over the neighborhood average. However, it's in a historic neighborhood, so most of the houses are nearly as old, and most of them are in really good condition as well.
With that in mind, I'm thinking maybe the seller plans or expects to negotiate a little.

With all that said, Given that the asking is $159/sqft, is $140 as a starting bid, with an expectation to come up a bit too low?
I know that it's impossible to predict exactly 'what the seller is thinking', but is that a normal negotiating range?

For reference, that's an asking of $469 vs. an offer of $413.

As I said, I know it's a long shot for me since I can't afford asking, but I can afford a *little* bit above the offer, and I'm thinking I should save that bit to leave me the capacity to negotiate..

Anyway, the point being, would most sellers consider that offer an insult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:50 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,682,880 times
Are you working with a buyer's agent? The agent should be able to understand your market and give you guidance. JMO, but I think 10% below asking price is reasonable opening offer.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:55 PM

Yeah, I am using an agent - and so far he's been an excellent agent, too - he said basically the same thing: it's not a bad offer to bring to the table, but that I shouldn't expect them to take it, just to begin negotiations (which is exactly what I'm trying to do). I just want to be very careful not to insult the sellers... I'm guessing when you're trying to bring sellers down a little bit, their mentality has a LOT to do with their willingness So I thought I'd open up the discussion and see what others thought as well.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:06 PM

LOL. Some people think that anything less than full asking price is an insult.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:45 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,246,162 times
First thing I would do is hit the public records and see how much they owe on the house. A mortgage balance has a lot to do with how low a seller can go. Check you county clerk's website. This info is free.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Really? I didn't realize that was public - googling for my local office now - thanks!
*edit* heh - the site has a big banner ad stating "We plan to have our Real Estate documents from January 1st, 2000 to the present online by November 1st, 2007."
Still, it's public record, so I can probably just call 'em.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
First thing I would do is hit the public records and see how much they owe on the house. A mortgage balance has a lot to do with how low a seller can go. Check you county clerk's website. This info is free.
At least in my county you can't see how much someone owes, only the full loan amount is recorded in the county's registrar of deeds.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:04 PM

I bet it's the same here (it's after 5 so I'll call tomorrow), but on the other hand if you assume it's a 30yr loan, you can make a pretty safe guess at what remains.

hm... I bet they don't keep track of home equity lec's, though, do they?

Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,396,090 times
I'd say you've got little chance of your offer being accepted if the house is properly priced for the market. If, however, the market shows that the "right" price for the house is more in the $420k range, then you've got an overly optimistic seller, and you may get it for what you're offering. It's impossible to say without knowing what's going on in your local market.

Bob

Old 10-02-2007, 05:21 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,246,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiance View Post
I bet it's the same here (it's after 5 so I'll call tomorrow), but on the other hand if you assume it's a 30yr loan, you can make a pretty safe guess at what remains.

hm... I bet they don't keep track of home equity lec's, though, do they?
Not that I am aware of, only mortgages, tax liens, mechanic's liens, etc. You will most likely have to go down there to see the records.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate