Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,209 times

Advertisements

I want to sell my home. I had a real estate agent come look at my property and he discovered a major discrepancy in the sq. footage. He measured the house twice and confirmed that the house is not 2700 sq. feet but rather 2,073 sq. ft. He notified the owner of his real estate company about this matter immediately. I have requested a mediation package be mailed to me through my local Board Of Realtors so that I can present this to an arbitration board.
I bought the house for $479 k. Based on this new sq. footage discovery my agent said he could sell it for around $417 k. Has anyone out there filed a suit and won a case like this? Any advice would be apreciated. I did put a call in today to a real estate attorney but have not gotten a return call yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 02:11 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Since when are real estate agents experts at measuring a home??? What did your appraisal show to be the square footage? There are numerous ways to measure the square footage of a home. It is definitely not a matter of measuring each room and adding up the totals. Licensed appraisers have strict guidelines they use when measuring a home. A builders set of blue prints might show a slightly different number. And the county assessor may have yet another number. I don't think I'd act too hastily based on one person's opinion. I suggest doing a little more research and digging before I jumped into mediation, arbitration, or a lawsuit.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:16 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
I am not clear on what you are asking or trying to mediate. You bought a house, how long ago? Now you want to sell it and discover you thought it was bigger. Who will you be suing and based on what documentation?

Normally, you would be responsible for proving you were intentionally deceived in order to win against the seller. In most cases a property survey would have discovered this type of error before you bought the house. If the seller provided plans or written statement to the size of the house and it is not correct, your title policy obtained from the Title Insurance company when you bought the house (You did get title insurance, right?) would cover any material defect unintentionally misrepresented that should have been discovered.

I have never seen this type of problem occur after a closing before, since I have always obtained a survey before hand. I would expect you will only be able to win any damages if you can show the misrepresentation was intentional.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
As far as I know, it's the buyers responsibility to verify the square footage when buying the home. That means you were responsible for this before you bought your home, not the seller.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:56 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,580 times
I find it sort of hard to believe that you could not visually tell the difference between a 2700 sq ft house and one that is 2000 sq ft. I owned a house that was listed on the appraisal districts records as being 1200 sq ft. Anyone walking into the house could tell that it was over 1700 sq ft. This same house was recently on the market again and the listed sq ft was 1950. My point is that 700 sq ft difference is usually recognizable.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
In our state you would be out of luck. All listings clearly state that square footage is an estimate only and not to be taken as representative of actual footage, it is the responsability of the buyer to confirm the figure.

Good luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
All above posts contain valid and reliable information. In Missouri, it is also, only an estimate and not to be taken as representative of the actual footage as jim states.

For demonstration purposes, I had agents in my office each measure a home and present to me their findings. Only two agents out of 6 agreed. some had measured the outside perimeter, others had measured each individual room. Another had measured each room and the halls and closets. This was a great lesson for all of us.

So, which method did we use? Put on the listing sheet the outside measurement and the indivisual room sizes and that was all. Gave the potential buyer(s) some idea of the size, not the actual. for carpeting, other flooring or placement of furniture, etc.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:39 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
I'm confused also. What has mediation with your local board of realtors have to do with anything? Who are you trying to go in to mediation with? Where'd you get the 2700 sq ft to begin with? Was it total space or living space? What do the county records say?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:51 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
We had this issue also but for us it's in our favor. We bought our house almost 3 years ago on the assumption it was 4,200 square feet. Come to find out it is actually 4,550 square feet. It's not that big of a difference to us personally but it will be in our favor when we sell. Price per square footage.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:07 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,648,168 times
What about checking city records? That's what I did when I bought my home. I was also able to check if any permits were taken out for work done on the house. It's free to look where I live. Just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate